Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kitchener Octoberfest Question

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

walkfargetbeer

Kitchener Octoberfest Question

Post by walkfargetbeer »

Hey guys, new to the forum :D Turned 19 a few months ago. Tried a couple great microbrews, and I've been hooked on discovering great new beers ever since.

So back on topic. For anyone who has been to octoberfest before, are there any great events to check out, beer events to be specific. The official website isn't very clear, and I've searched this forum but didn't really find any threads on the subject (my bad if i missed them). Bear in mind, I've lived in Kitchener my whole life, so I know all about the parade, and other larger events. I just never really paid attention to any of the other stuff. Like are there any bars that do special events for this week?

Any information on the matter would be great. Cheers guys.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't live in the area, and I've only been to this Oktoberfest, but if you have any interest in good beer, then I highly recommend you don't go to this. It is a Molson only event and is essentially an Oktoberfest for posers.

Perhaps local establishments will have their own festivities, but the fest itself is a farce and is full of douchebag students getting wasted.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I don't live in the area, and I've only been to this Oktoberfest, but if you have any interest in good beer, then I highly recommend you don't go to this. It is a Molson only event and is essentially an Oktoberfest for posers.

Perhaps local establishments will have their own festivities, but the fest itself is a farce and is full of douchebag students getting wasted.
Hey now, getting wasted with fellow students is quite fun :lol:

But that sounds incredibly disappointing. I was hoping for some potential beer tastings, or sampling from Ontario brewers. Something similar to the local Rib Fest, which I unfortunately missed. Molson only really? I figured there would at least be a few German beers as well.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

walkfargetbeer wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I don't live in the area, and I've only been to this Oktoberfest, but if you have any interest in good beer, then I highly recommend you don't go to this. It is a Molson only event and is essentially an Oktoberfest for posers.

Hey now, getting wasted with fellow students is quite fun :lol:

But that sounds incredibly disappointing. I was hoping for some potential beer tastings, or sampling from Ontario brewers. Something similar to the local Rib Fest, which I unfortunately missed. Molson only really? I figured there would at least be a few German beers as well.

You've got your sights set way too high. Aim lower...........a lot lower, for the KW Molctoberfest.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

Well... crap.

In that case, hopefully one of the better bars has something going on.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

walkfargetbeer wrote:Well... crap.

Is there a German restaurant or private club in the area? Perhaps they put on a little shindig. For example the German Canadian Club here in London has a party, and they also serve Hacker Pschorr and Paulaner to name a couple.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

The Castle on King in Kitchener used to bring in some Oktoberfest beers and had some excellent schnitzel. Unfortunately it has not been around for a couple years now.

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
walkfargetbeer wrote:Well... crap.

Is there a German restaurant or private club in the area? Perhaps they put on a little shindig. For example the German Canadian Club here in London has a party, and they also serve Hacker Pschorr and Paulaner to name a couple.
There are 4 big german clubs, that I know of, which are all part of the main city Oktoberfest. So I'm willing to be it will mostly be molson then.
kmallett wrote:The Castle on King in Kitchener used to bring in some Oktoberfest beers and had some excellent schnitzel. Unfortunately it has not been around for a couple years now.
I'm wondering if Kick Offs might do something like this.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I always preferred Frankenmuth's Oktoberfest celebrations myself. Far better beers.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Livin in Kitchener longer than I care to remember, I can tell you the entire Oktoberfest event has been co-opted and corporetized. ALL "official" fest halls MUST serve the bland Krout&sausage from Schneiders and the yellow fizzy slop Molson's sell. If you want to be an official registered KW fest hall you must use the products of these 'official' sponsors of the event...namely Molson's (AKA Molson-Coors inc) and Schneiders (AKA Maple Leaf foods)

THe fest halls are a farce compared to the fest tent events the German clubs ran in the early days of Oktoberfest....they had imported Munich and Dortmunder lager, ompah bands, the club's lady's aux. cooked all the great German food...no more. The corporate giants found some local flake councils to buy themselves into the event.

THere are still lots of local private parties that serve authentic food and drink nut you need an invite.

THe Heuther house puts on a good sptread with their own house made Munich lagers....that's as close to the ambience of true Oktoberfest you will get here these days.

Ho to Baqu's Oktoberfest.....or Munich.
Aventinus rules!

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

Wow, no authentic German food either...damn, didn't think I could get less pumped for this :x

Now I'm not surprised my parents never took me to any events, or participated in this.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

walkfargetbeer wrote:Wow, no authentic German food either...damn, didn't think I could get less pumped for this :x

Now I'm not surprised my parents never took me to any events, or participated in this.
Sorry to have crushed you Oktoberfest spirit so early, but everything you read here about food and beer at the events is true.

Having said that you can go to the Concordia Club restaurant "The Schenke" any time and enjoy pretty good German food (the spatzle is pretty good and the schnitzels are good) and as I recall (although I haven't been for years -anyone been there lately?) number of German beers are available - when Oktoberfest is NOT on!. Go figure.
So save yourself the ticket price and the puking students and go tonight for Bavarian buffet! for $15

They also win the award for best website of 1998

www.concordiaclub.ca

Prost!

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

My Octoberfest thoughts:

- if you're 19 and want to get drunk and meet chicks, then I think Thursday at Aud is excellent, University night
- was at Concordia last year, you can get German beers on the club side vs. in the tent.

Other than that, it is all Molson, all the time!

Queef

Post by Queef »

it's beer o'clock.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

So I was at a KW Oktoberfest event last night. Beer list was Canadian and Coors Light. Even non-beer geeks were complaining about the selection because they were expecting some sort of German beer. I could have killed for Creemore or Rickard's!