Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Nightmares

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Beer Nightmares

Post by phirleh »

After a brew day that wasn't so much a nightmare, but a constant reminder of Murphy's Law, I was curious about other's beer nightmares.

I started late, low propane led to a long slow boil, temperature went to 0 outside so hose was frozen, then at the end of the day a plastic fermenter "trub bumb" fell off the vibrating washing machine in the basement adding to the cleanup.

Have you ever had a party at the cottage only to wake up seeing the prized Cantillon you trecked across Belgium sitting on the outside deck all night and your brother in-law saying he tried one of your beers and it tasted sour?

What's your beer nightmare?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That Cantillon would still taste about the same, no?
In Beerum Veritas

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Belgian wrote:That Cantillon would still taste about the same, no?
Just an example, I've never tried one, but I did come home from being away and my brother had come over to my house and put a dent in a few Grand River bottles, but luckily he never did get to any older stuff I was saving.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

GLUTEN INTOLERANCE.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

- Project X bottles available, but I'm out of town.
- Announcements of great beer nights at bars that require a car to get to.
- A wife that likes good beer as much as I do (nothing is safe in this house)

And my all time worst:

Remember the big blackout several years back? Well, no beer at home, zip, empty fridge.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Tapsucker wrote:
Remember the big blackout several years back? Well, no beer at home, zip, empty fridge.
Given that the beer wouldn't be cold for long, I think a cellar full of RISs would be more fitting for a blackout (maybe some Great Lakes Blackout Stout?) :)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

While in Madison I picked up some rare Brewers Gone Wild from Tyranena.

On the short flight to Chicago, the twin prop flew right through a storm and 3 of the 4 bottles blew their cap off. I remember one was an Imprial Stout and another was an IPA.

My luggage STUNK and I never did get to try them!

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

The standard issue for someone living in the sticks. See something I really want in the LCBO system, call my local store to see if I can get some ordered in and for whatever reason they can't. The St. Ambroise RIS was a recent example of this.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I put up a post called "Happy Tail Ale" under random talk. That could be a beer nightmare all on its own if you kept it in the fridge and friends helped themselves.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Searching through a cooler full of Canadian and Coors Light, looking for my last bottle of DFH 60 Minute, and then see my Father-in-Law pouring it out after one drink saying "who brought this shit!"

I now bring my own cooler........

probstk

Post by probstk »

I've had some bad luck with beer trades. No major beer nightmares, thankfully.

Theoretical nightmares: Trafalgar somehow monopolizes the Ontario beer scene and The Clocktower "brewpub" in Ottawa starts franchising.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

probstk wrote:I've had some bad luck with beer trades. No major beer nightmares, thankfully.
A few years ago my wife bought a 6 pack of westvleteren 12 on ebay as a Christmas gift for me. It got seized by the border agency and was sent to the office of undeliverable mail at the beginning of a Canada post strike. I managed to get some of the money back from the seller since he was kind of foolish to use Usps (and i had no knowledge of beer shipping issues at the time) and a friend in Chicago sent me a westvleteren 12 for new years for a few bottles from me. So it wasn't a complete loss.

kona

Post by kona »

I discovered recently that the bottle of Goudenband I had been cellaring for 5 years was actually a Jan van Gent. The wrapper fooled me.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

phirleh wrote:
probstk wrote:I've had some bad luck with beer trades. No major beer nightmares, thankfully.
A few years ago my wife bought a 6 pack of westvleteren 12 on ebay as a Christmas gift for me. It got seized by the border agency and was sent to the office of undeliverable mail at the beginning of a Canada post strike. I managed to get some of the money back from the seller since he was kind of foolish to use Usps (and i had no knowledge of beer shipping issues at the time) and a friend in Chicago sent me a westvleteren 12 for new years for a few bottles from me. So it wasn't a complete loss.
I had a box arrive in the mail the other day. When it left California it has two Westy 12s in it. Unfortunately, only 1 survived the trip.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Had a bottle of 1979 Thomas Hardy's sent from England 3 weeks ago, still no sign of it...
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole