Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Winterlicious Beer Events - Feb 5 & 8

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

wilco

Winterlicious Beer Events - Feb 5 & 8

Post by wilco »

Two beer-related Winterlicious events:

Dieu du Ciel! Beer Tasting Dinner at beerbistro:

Tuesday February 8th, 6-10pm
$125, plus HST and gratuity

"Experience a ten course beer dinner with a master brewer guiding guests through beers paired with imaginative fresh market beer cuisine. Quebec-based master brewery, Dieu du Ciel! will brew a selection of beers specifically for this dinner and unavailable anywhere else in the world"

Artisanal Brewers at Todmorden

Saturday February 5th, 7-9:30pm
$55 plus HST

"At the site of the original brewery built in 1821, participants will enjoy an evening of sampling artisanal brews with traditional 19th century and contemporary food pairings. Each guest's admission ticket entitles them to a complimentary souvenir tasting glass and their choice of any six pairings of food and beer.
Visitors will have the opportunity to interact with representatives from local craft breweries and learn about the wide variety of brews produced in Ontario. Seasonal brews from Granite Brewery, Mill Street Brewery, Black Oak Brewery, Denison's Brewing Company and Wellington Brewery will be available for sampling."

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Anybody know if tickets to these (especially the Beerbistro one) are available yet?

-Josh

wilco

Post by wilco »

detritus wrote:Anybody know if tickets to these (especially the Beerbistro one) are available yet?

-Josh
Sorry, I should have added that tickets went on sale today. Got mine for the DDC! dinner.

dmits

Post by dmits »

wilco wrote:
detritus wrote:Anybody know if tickets to these (especially the Beerbistro one) are available yet?

-Josh
Sorry, I should have added that tickets went on sale today. Got mine for the DDC! dinner.
Got my DDC tickets last night too... thanks for the heads up on this event, should be great!

zachariaIPA

Post by zachariaIPA »

Got my DDC tickets- oh baby!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Apparently, the DDC dinner is sold out. Apologies to the snoozers/losers. :cry:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Anyone going to this tonight? If so, please post up your experience!

zachariaIPA

Post by zachariaIPA »

Another unbelievable beer-pairing event at beerbistro with the gents from DDC.

Beers featured that weren't part of the DDC release were the Caserne 30 smoked Hefeweizen, Revenante smoked porter, and the Cornemuse scotch ale.

The servings of Corne du Diable and Derniére Volonte were SO fresh and tasty, the hops really came through..definitely different from the months-old stuff I have at home in bottles.

The food was outstanding as usual, but I think it would be a huge plus if the chef(s) at beerbistro would come out and tell everyone a little bit about each dish as they're served, why it was paired with that particular beer, etc. That would really take things to the next level.

I got to speak with the guys after the dinner and they spoke about the horrors of bottling (we poked fun at the cap-stickers), the popularity of Péché, the label artwork, the LCBO (planning another release, but likely will not be available year-round), their plans to keep making new beers (it's "boring" making the same beer all the time), and brewing at capacity but taking the time to grow organically.

I posted the pics on DDC's Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dieu-Du-C ... 839?v=wall

Cheers!

abbeyphile

Post by abbeyphile »

With regards to the chefs not coming out and explaining the dishes, don't you think that maybe they had their hands full preparing the ten courses you were gorging on?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

abbeyphile wrote:With regards to the chefs not coming out and explaining the dishes, don't you think that maybe they had their hands full preparing the ten courses you were gorging on?

That is likely the case, but at most beer dinners I've been to, the chef does come out and at least receive a round of applause. I don't see it as being an unusual thing.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

At the Winterlicious event last year he did come out and speak a little about each dish as it was served. They also had a speaker discuss each beer and how it worked with the food.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

abbeyphile wrote:With regards to the chefs not coming out and explaining the dishes, don't you think that maybe they had their hands full preparing the ten courses you were gorging on?
I'm sure they were busy but c'mon, you can't have a tasting dinner without somebody talking a bit about why they chose to pair that specific beer with each course. Even if they just wrote it down before hand and had it at the table.

Let's hear about the food too!
^^^Hop-head ^^^