Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nørrebro Bryghus brewery feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

probstk wrote:
Belgian wrote:Lots of 4 kinds Nørrebro at Queen Coxwell, just no Barley Wine yet.

The most exciting LCBO beer from Denmark since Faxe!
For anyone searching the LCBO website or drinkvine, make sure you spell the brewery "noerrebro" to find all of the listing....

BTW, nothing in Ottawa yet....WAH!! :cry:
Ah, searching for Norrebros only brings up the Julebryg.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

phirleh wrote:
Ah, searching for Norrebros only brings up the Julebryg.

1. BOMBAY PALE ALE
Denmark | Noerrebro Bryghus A/S
LCBO 210849 | 600 mL | $ 7.50

2. LA GRANJA STOUT
LCBO 199729 | 600 mL | $ 10.15

3. LITTLE KORKNY ALE
LCBO 211250 | 600 mL | $ 21.95

4. NORREBROS JULEBRYG
LCBO 211268 | 600 mL | $ 7.50

5. VAR TRIPEL 2010
LCBO 210773 | 600 mL | $ 9.35

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

probstk wrote: For anyone searching the LCBO website or drinkvine, make sure you spell the brewery "Noerrebro" to find all of the listing....
:
Good tip.

So then I guess the Ø vowel sound (also spelled oe) is the same sound as ö (the German equivalent, again can also be spelled oe.)

Beer. It's another way of learning languages.
In Beerum Veritas

probstk

Post by probstk »

Belgian wrote:
probstk wrote: For anyone searching the LCBO website or drinkvine, make sure you spell the brewery "Noerrebro" to find all of the listing....
:
Good tip.

So then I guess the Ø vowel sound (also spelled oe) is the same sound as ö (the German equivalent, again can also be spelled oe.)

Yep. Remember than next time you order a beer in Denmark (Øl) or a Löwenbräu in Deutschland!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Belgian wrote:
:
Good tip.

According to Wikipedia you are correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98
The Turkish, Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Tatar, Finnish, Swedish, Icelandic, Rotuman, German, Estonian, and Hungarian alphabets use the letter Ö instead of Ø. Hungarian uses Ő for the same sound lengthened.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Two stores in Waterloo, King & William, and King & Northfield have the La Granja, Julebryg, and Bombay in, about 40 bottles each. Picked up a few of each after work.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Grabbed three each of the Bombay, Julebryg, and La Granga at Richmond & Fanshawe today. Very impressed with how quickly this has hit the shelves.

On a completely unrelated note, I had a funny conversation with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut while I was snagging my bottles. They were perusing the beer aisles and the wife remarked with disbelief that "they don't have any IPAs here?!?" I told them that Ontario retail stores are basically devoid of IPAs and they seemed like they couldn't comprehend the lunacy of this reality. After staring at me with an intense look of concern the husband asked "what about Imperial IPAs?" Explained that Garrison was the only one we've seen so far - he claimed he had tried it before - and they were even further disappointed.

As consolation I informed them that the Bombay is an English IPA and they begrudgingly bought a few bottles of that. Such a telling tale that Americans 'settle' for the beers we anxiously seek out in this system! Not like I'm complaining though, as I'm looking forward to trying these bottles and my guess is I'll be getting many more after this initial haul.
Last edited by cratez on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote: .....an English IPA

Christ, no wonder they were pissed.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

carguy

Post by carguy »

I was at the Norrebro brewpub in Copenhagen this past September. It was a very long (and very expensive) evening during which I tried 12 of their beers (they had 15 different ones there, so the three I couldn't manage to get to, I bought a bottle of each and drank the next day). The nice thing was the choice of serving size. They had 20cl and 33cl glasses (priced accordingly as well, not like our "half pint" here that bars charge 80% of the price of a full one for). Dispite all that, there are still two of the beers coming to the LCBO that I haven't had before; the stout and the Julebryg.

Side note on the barley wine: I tried two vintages of it when I was there. A 2008 that was very good, and a 2009 that was not good at all. Both were called "Little Korkny Ale" but looked and tasted nothing alike. Like Thomas Hardy, aging may be advised for best results.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:
That is a terrific story. It underlines so much that is pathetic about the big, shiny & pretentious LC. How would you feel as a vistor walking into this nice-looking store, only to find next to nothing? You'd be lucky if one crisp-shirted staff member knew what real IPA is. It's stunning.

On the other hand, YOU were in the right place/time to help these very puzzled, very ordinary everyday middle-age Americans who have actual STANDARDS and expectations in craft beer. Why the LC pretends IPAs hardly exist is a bloody mystery. Clearly if we sold them our market would accept them. This is the real point. N'est pas?
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

All 5 Nørrebro beers in at Yonge & 7, all grouped together on the shelf, with cards identifying them as a brewery feature. I was so amazed I stopped to take a picture at which point I was reprimanded by a clerk that taking pictures is not allowed. I was a bit confused, but told him I wanted to congratulate the store on getting everything out, together and labeled. He said they did it for every feature, when I knew has not been true for that store and mentioned so, which he vigorously disagreed with.

Rather than push it , I let it drop, at which point he started telling about not taking pictures again. I just walked away at that point, he wasn't happy, but I didn't need to listen to the old man jawing when I could be home drinking these beers.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I hate the fact that 10 out 25 of the LCBOs are in Toronto. I guess I'll be missing out on this one.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: You were in the right place/time to help these very puzzled, very ordinary everyday middle-age Americans who have actual STANDARDS and expectations in craft beer.
LOL. It's funny you mention this, because they didn't fit the 'beer geek' profile in any way, shape or form. They were well-dressed and conservative looking, probably in their mid-50s, and if I were to stereotype both of them (prior to our conversation) I'd say the husband was a Wiser's guy and the wife a pinot grigio or cocktail drinker. And yet they were totally perplexed that this store didn't have any American IPAs or DIPAs. In fact it seemed like they were ready to walk before I suggested the Bombay.

To me the encounter was yet another sign of how far advanced the U.S. beer scene is in comparison to ours. So many brewers, brewpubs, and retail stores offer IPAs, saisons, and other bold, flavourful styles that they have become commonplace and 'expected' among consumers of all demographics. The good news is that these brewery feature releases will slowly push palettes forward if enough of the 'beer curious' take a gamble on them. Then maybe we can begin to see some of the selection that our southern neighbours enjoy.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

dutchcanuck wrote:I hate the fact that 10 out 25 of the LCBOs are in Toronto. I guess I'll be missing out on this one.

Tuck Foronto!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

For those that are interested, I was at the Queens Quay LCBO last night and they only had 3 of the Noerrebro featured beers there:

1. BOMBAY PALE ALE
3. LITTLE KORKNY ALE
4. NORREBROS JULEBRYG

Dissappointed I couldn't pick up the stout but I grabbed a Bombay. Expecting a great IPA here with the hype, hope it's not disappointing.
^^^Hop-head ^^^