Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

This is the reason the beer store will never go away.

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mr.X

This is the reason the beer store will never go away.

Post by Mr.X »

The last part of the article is the most telling. This just makes me sad.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -says?bn=1

"At Queen’s Park, government sources said Tuesday that Hudak will be crying in his beer if he thinks he can succeed in lowering the tax on suds.

“The brewers are literally the most successful lobby that is out there,” said one Liberal insider.

“They are incredibly skillful at trying to access and influence government,” said the official, noting the combined force of Labatt, Molson, and Sleeman – and their foreign-owned parent companies – is difficult to challenge.

“Tim may say that now, but they (the brewers) will spare no expense to get things to game their way.”

Indeed, at the Liberal policy convention last weekend in Ottawa, Labatt hosted a Super Bowl-themed hospitality suite, complete with the ‘Bud Girls’ flight attendants from the TV commercials, that was hugely popular with MPPs, delegates, observers, and reporters.

A similar suite is expected for the Tory convention in Niagara Falls in April."

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Mr.X wrote: “Tim may say that now, but they (the brewers) will spare no expense to get things to game their way.”

Indeed, at the Liberal policy convention last weekend in Ottawa, Labatt hosted a Super Bowl-themed hospitality suite, complete with the ‘Bud Girls’ flight attendants from the TV commercials, that was hugely popular with MPPs, delegates, observers, and reporters.

A similar suite is expected for the Tory convention in Niagara Falls in April."
It is kind of mind blowing that all it takes to influence government policy is free beer and some pretty girls who are paid to serve it to you.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Kel Varnsen wrote: It is kind of mind blowing that all it takes to influence government policy is free beer and some pretty girls who are paid to serve it to you.
Really?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Bytowner wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote: It is kind of mind blowing that all it takes to influence government policy is free beer and some pretty girls who are paid to serve it to you.
Really?
Yea I was suprised that free beer and hot waitresses was all it takes. I was thinking at minimum it would require free coke, suitcases full of cash and strippers/whores.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Well this is interesting - the last two lines regarding the Labatt convention suites have been removed from the article. It now ends with line before that.

I wonder who put pressure on the Star to remove it...

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Very interesting Greg! I shot an e-mail off to Ferguson and Benzies.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Got a quick reply from Rob Ferguson. He doesn't know, said they added something in the middle and maybe the editors wanted to keep the word count down.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Bytowner wrote:Got a quick reply from Rob Ferguson. He doesn't know, said they added something in the middle and maybe the editors wanted to keep the word count down.

Word count! No way, it's a digital article for god sakes! Someone definitely did not want that out there. (I say in a conspiracy theory voice) :-)

Really though, that does seem a bit fishy.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

GregClow wrote:I wonder who put pressure on the Star to remove it...

"Yeah, maybe best to spike it? Okay. Fuckity-bye!"
Here's to the slow path.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
GregClow wrote:I wonder who put pressure on the Star to remove it...

"Yeah, maybe best to spike it? Okay. Fuckity-bye!"
FTW!

Actually he didn't specifically say "word count" just implied it might have been a length thing.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Cass wrote:
Bytowner wrote:Got a quick reply from Rob Ferguson. He doesn't know, said they added something in the middle and maybe the editors wanted to keep the word count down.

Word count! No way, it's a digital article for god sakes! Someone definitely did not want that out there. (I say in a conspiracy theory voice) :-)

Really though, that does seem a bit fishy.
Cass, without knowing the specifics about that article, I've got to speak up for both Rob and the Star. I assure you, there's no conspiracy at this place -- remember, my Star colleague Dana Flavelle's outstanding series on The Beer Store a while back? Also, having spent plenty of time as an editor here, I can tell you that the same version of the story is now put into the paper as goes online. So if a story was trimmed to fit a certain space in the print version of the paper, it will also show up that way online.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Believe me Josh, I respect the Star and its writers. But you have to admit that what was trimmed could be construed as one of the more controversial things in the article. Government representatives need to watch out when they accept things from outside corporations. It's gotten them in hot water in the past, has it not?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:Believe me Josh, I respect the Star and its writers. But you have to admit that what was trimmed could be construed as one of the more controversial things in the article. Government representatives need to watch out when they accept things from outside corporations. It's gotten them in hot water in the past, has it not?
Yeah it's pretty 'coincidental.'

Not to mention suggesting any whiff of 'scandal' associated with a large company could cost a newspaper advertising revenue. They can't afford that these days! Best keep articles conservative & neutral where immediate impact on Ad revenue may be a consideration.
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Belgian wrote:
Cass wrote:Believe me Josh, I respect the Star and its writers. But you have to admit that what was trimmed could be construed as one of the more controversial things in the article. Government representatives need to watch out when they accept things from outside corporations. It's gotten them in hot water in the past, has it not?

Not to mention suggesting any whiff of 'scandal' associated with a large company could cost a newspaper advertising revenue. They can't afford that these days! Best keep articles conservative & neutral where immediate impact on Ad revenue may be a consideration.
Take off the tinfoil hat. There's no conspiracy.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

tuqueboy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Take off the tinfoil hat. There's no conspiracy.
Yeah, but it's always fun to talk about :-)