Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Detroit

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

So back from a short getaway to Detroit. Another fun time as usual. Some notes:

I stayed this time around in Royal Oak, which is its own city that borders Detroit, similar to Ferndale (there's a lot of little cities that ring around Detroit). It's about a 20 minute drive from RO to downtown Detroit, or there's a city bus that goes all the way from downtown (461/462 Smart Bus).

Being in RO, however, is like a different world and you'd never know that Detroit is right next door. They have a compact downtown with lots of stuff - there's a Jolly Pumpkin and HopCat here (directly across from each other), plus the old-school Royal Oak Brewery, which has been around since '95. They do lots of classics, no hazies there.

Ye Olde Saloon and Gusoline Alley are the 'dive' bars in town but had great beer available - numerous crafty taps at both.

Lily's Seafood can be best described as what classic brewpubs used to be like before the taproom era. It's a family-friendly seafood restaurant and a 7BBL system is tucked in the back. Again, a focus on classic styles which was really nice to see.

Ale Mary's Beer Hall was kind of like an upscale pub with the most exotic (and expensive) tap list. They had marked Grimm Ales on the menu as being from Montreal and I politely mentioned this to the bartender, who in turn politely claimed that they have a location there. Kind of strange.

Royal Oak also has a number of vintage-y shops and boutiques so lots of places to poke around while wandering. They have a downtown drinking zone too, which I'm learning is common across a number of small municipalities in Michigan from COVID. There's a great bakery called Crispelli's too.

Unlike staying in Downtown Detroit, which doesn't really feel like there's much "stuff" beyond bars, staying in Royal Oak was very nice. Lots to do and I'd stay again for sure.

Also, the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus was super great. Pretty straightforward - it's a city bus that goes under the tunnel for $10. On the U.S. side you get off the bus, talk to the border agent and back on the bus and it keeps going into downtown. On the Canadian side is the same thing, but you walk out and you're already in downtown Windsor.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Also, forgot to mention that there was a fire at the Traffic Jam & Snug in midtown and it's probably closed for good. Was always a unique retro spot.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

I'd like to go to Detroit one day as it's relatively close and seems to have a lot of great things.

Tangentially, I was recently at Grimm in Brooklyn, and they definitely do not have a Montreal location. I'd like them to, though. Weird how some people cannot admit mistakes with zero costs for doing so.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

anthony9 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:42 pm I'd like to go to Detroit one day as it's relatively close and seems to have a lot of great things.
I'm a big fan and try and promote Detroit when I can. It's closer than Montreal and a straightforward (albeit boring) drive.

I took the train this time around and it was great. Zipped down and hopped on the bus and it was a breeze.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

New episode! Did up a quick Quick Beer from my weekend in Royal Oak, MI. A really nice spot.