Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

May 27-29 Gatineau Beer Festival

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

May 27-29 Gatineau Beer Festival

Post by iguenard »

http://www.festibieredegatineau.ca/

The Gatineau Beerfest invites you to join its other guests for a big country party in May 2011. Our festival marks the arrival of warmer weather and family outings in nature. The Outaouais region is a strategic place to access all kinds of specialty beers.Its residents are served by four major distribution networks on both sides of river. They offer an impressive choice of flavors which are ever evolving. This wide selection of beer can now accompany most meals.

The phenomena of artisan beer production and the tasting experience has been growing over the past twenty years. Its development potential is still very large, as indicated by the latest report from the Association of Quebec microbreweries. The Gatineau Beerfest wants to tap on this trend by engaging the public to discover new products and by educating fans about how to taste them. The Gatineau Beerfest want you to discover its artisans, local produce, beer and food matches in a outdoor country atmosphere, amongst friends and family.

In May, the National Capital will be beating to the rhythm of the Beerfest as people discovers news flavors and local produce. Its programming is sure to please with workshops, cooking demonstrations, street artists, troubadours and entertainment.

Finally, the tasting experience is based on the idea that quality prevails over quantity. The Gatineau Beerfest is fully committed to this philosophy by encouraging people to «Drink less, drink better ».

From their website

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'll be there probably on the Saturday.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

If you see a semi-skinny guy with a black Bières et Plaisirs work shirt, say hi :)

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Will do. I blend in to a beer crowd. Overweight, thinning hair with my wife..

But I'll probably be wearing my Edmonton Oilers hat. There can't be that many of us.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I'm not clear on what the layout is going to be. Is this in a field under tents or is it in an actual building?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Field under tents/booths. There should be a siteplan on the website

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Can't find anything, although it gives me a migraine if I spend more than 10 seconds on the site!! :D

Thanks!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

rejtable wrote:Can't find anything, although it gives me a migraine if I spend more than 10 seconds on the site!! :D

Thanks!
Yea the website is kind of frustrating. I wish my French was better since there seems to be quite a bit more information on the French site compared to the English site.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

rejtable wrote:Can't find anything, although it gives me a migraine if I spend more than 10 seconds on the site!! :D

Thanks!
As per their facebook page:

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Thanks! That picture makes me laugh though, hard to figure if it's better or worse than the website!

How will the tasting work once we are in? $12 for the weekend, but that's just for entry. Is it a ticket system for samples?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Not going, but I'd love one of the posters. Doesn't look like there's any merch on the website.

notdan

Post by notdan »

rejtable wrote:How will the tasting work once we are in? $12 for the weekend, but that's just for entry. Is it a ticket system for samples?
I would also like to know this, if anyone on here has the info.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

notdan wrote:
rejtable wrote:How will the tasting work once we are in? $12 for the weekend, but that's just for entry. Is it a ticket system for samples?
I would also like to know this, if anyone on here has the info.
Based on looking at their facebook page and playing around with Google Translate, it sounds like each booth will set their own prices for samples and you will pay cash for your samples at each booth. Anyone who speaks better French than me will probably be able to confirm.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I'd be happy to translate, I just can't find text in either language that talks about how to buy the actual beer. I'm not on Facebook. If you can put quotes here I can try and help.

In the end, it's not a huge issue for me whether they go tickets or cash for samples. Just curious to how it will work, mainly. May try and go with the family on Saturday.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Went yesterday and had an awesome time. Was quite busy but the line-ups for beer were never more than a couple minutes long. My favourite tents were Charlevoix and Brewpub Brouhaha. Charlevoix brought out a bunch of stuff I've never seen bottled before like a roggenbier, saison, strong porter, and rye-p.a. with bravo and columbus, all of which were delicious. Brouhaha had a DFH Randall set up for their IPA. First time trying beer from one and damn was it hoppy as hell. Also had an imperial stout from them that was quite good.

Food was awesome too. Had some pork medallion from l'Oree du bois and a pulled pork sandwich from the rib place.

Overall a great event and I look forward to it next year.