Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TCB wrote:You won't see many new beer brands coming in 6 pack bottles in 2014 and a few that are currently will be switched out to 473ml (tall cans).
I foresee a rise in popularity of those 'single serving bags' used in the USA wherever it's OK to drink in public so long as John Law can't see it. Perfect for tall cans.

I mean it's somewhat obvious what you're doing, but the Charter guarantees our freedoms against 'unreasonable search and seizure.'

So tall 473ml cans + paper bag = socially respectful consumption, if you're not causing trouble in any way.
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

TCB wrote:In Ontario at TBS and LCBO, 6 pack bottles of almost all brands are in considerable decline. Maybe once the craft segment here grows to a more significant size the 6 pack bottle will return as a preferred format. You won't see many new beer brands coming in 6 pack bottles in 2014 and a few that are currently will be switched out to 473ml. I know some drinkers don't like cans but the 473/500ml cans are usually awesome value,that is where the majority of beer consumers shop and it is your best chance to get in the refrigerated areas in most stores if you are a supplier. If you can't hit volume targets your out.Your chances of getting multiple formats with the same brand are slim these days unless you have a very big brand and spend considerable dollars on LCBO programming. I have no problem with this as I believe variety is more important than multiple sizes of the same brand.
Having been folllowing the inventory for a couple of years, this is the result of the number of brands expanding and the shelf space staying static. It could become a real problem in terms of access to the market.
saintjohnswort.ca

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

It looks like the Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection is made up of New World, Thirteenth Hour and Tetravis

The St.Ambroise BW is a 3 pack with 2011, 2012 and 2013

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

that's pretty cool of st ambroise to create a pack like that.
PeenSteen wrote:It looks like the Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection is made up of New World, Thirteenth Hour and Tetravis

The St.Ambroise BW is a 3 pack with 2011, 2012 and 2013

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

PeenSteen wrote:It looks like the Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection is made up of New World, Thirteenth Hour and Tetravis
I don't know this collection. Is this good news?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

squeaky wrote:
They appear to be pretty decent beers:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-ada ... el/112477/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-ada ... ut/146955/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-ada ... is/199731/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

squeaky wrote:
New World was at the LC a year or so ago. I liked it enough to pick up a second bottle, so I'll be buying this collection for sure.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I had a Barrel Room Collection from a past trip to Boston and it was great. Looking forward to this one for sure (albeit diff beers in it).

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Cass wrote:I had a Barrel Room Collection from a past trip to Boston and it was great. Looking forward to this one for sure (albeit diff beers in it).
To be fair, some of them are slightly better than others. I remember that the Kriek was pretty good and the Tripel as well. The stout... either I don't understand what they were trying to accomplish or it just wasn't all that good.
saintjohnswort.ca

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

saints_gambit wrote:
Cass wrote:I had a Barrel Room Collection from a past trip to Boston and it was great. Looking forward to this one for sure (albeit diff beers in it).
To be fair, some of them are slightly better than others. I remember that the Kriek was pretty good and the Tripel as well. The stout... either I don't understand what they were trying to accomplish or it just wasn't all that good.
agreed about the stout, just an average belgian dark IMO

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

PeenSteen wrote:The St.Ambroise BW is a 3 pack with 2011, 2012 and 2013
Very cool.

A fun little mini vertical and a few more for the cellar years to come.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Kekumba wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:The St.Ambroise BW is a 3 pack with 2011, 2012 and 2013
Very cool.

A fun little mini vertical and a few more for the cellar years to come.
Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed any difference in St-Ambroise beer since the takeover by RJ?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Ceecee wrote: Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed any difference in St-Ambroise beer since the takeover by RJ?
I really didn't care for their new Double IPA. All I get is soap off the nose. I've been choking my way through my six pack. I think I have one more to go. I won't be getting another unless I hear that they altered the recipe.

Price was great through if they could get the beer right.

lplex

Post by lplex »

Ceecee wrote:Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed any difference in St-Ambroise beer since the takeover by RJ?
Their double IPA is by far the worst beer I had this year, but if I'm not mistaken this is a new product. I didn't have the chance to sample their regulars since the takeover but the RIS should hit the shelves soon, we'll see...

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Flying Monkeys The Chocolate Manifesto
Amsterdam Vicars Vice
Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout 6-PK
Brooklyn Lager Tall Can