Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canada Post Strike?

Connect with beer lovers to make private trades, or facilitate private orders from breweries..

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Canada Post Strike?

Post by Derek »

I was about to mail a package today and my wife said "Isn't the Canada Post union considering a strike?".

So for anyone else living under a rock, like myself...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... 674fb%2C0l

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I have a box I'm waiting to ship out and am not sure if I should hold off for a bit or ship right away incase talks continue through the week. It's frustrating - I have 50 wedding invitations that have to go out as well.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/13040/la_id/1.htm

"CUPW has also given the notice, required by the Canada Labour Code, of its intent to strike if there is no settlement flowing from its final offer. The union will be in a legal position to strike on Thursday, June 2, 2011, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. The union said the notice puts pressure on Canada Post to actually negotiate."

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:I have a box I'm waiting to ship out and am not sure if I should hold off for a bit or ship right away incase talks continue through the week. It's frustrating - I have 50 wedding invitations that have to go out as well.
Just use FedEx. In my experience it is the better alternative and only costs a buck or two more.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I have a box I'm waiting to ship out and am not sure if I should hold off for a bit or ship right away incase talks continue through the week. It's frustrating - I have 50 wedding invitations that have to go out as well.
Just use FedEx. In my experience it is the better alternative and only costs a buck or two more.
Quoted me at $155 dollars. Fuck that.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Yeah, don't go FedEx...that advice was erroneous.

It's looking very likely Canada Post will strike. Could be 48 hours long could be a month. Sit tight and wait it out. As for the wedding invites...if the strike drags on you might have to send out an evite or something internet based in order to keep your schedule on track.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Quoted me at $155 dollars. Fuck that.
What did they quote you $155 for? How big was the box and where was it going?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It's a box destined for me. 12 large format beers in a styro shipper. Usual cost between Ontario and B.C. is $29-33 tax in. SO obviously $155 is way out of whack.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Jon Walker wrote:It's a box destined for me. 12 large format beers in a styro shipper. Usual cost between Ontario and B.C. is $29-33 tax in. SO obviously $155 is way out of whack.
My corporate Fedex rate is $45 for a priority overnight 10kg package to Vancouver, ($130 standard rate) - not sure if either of you can use a work account and then pay it personally, but it would definitely be something to look into.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

... or ship it between Buffalo to Seatle :) 15$ on FedEx.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

No experience personally, but a friend has been very happy with Purolator and their prices were competitive with Canada Post.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

iguenard wrote:... or ship it between Buffalo to Seatle :) 15$ on FedEx.
Wow! Every had US customs search your trunk on the way over the border and give you problems about a box full of bubble-wrapped beer?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Usually I'm a pretty pro-union guy, but considering how shite the service is at Canada Post in the best of times I have barely a sliver of sympathy for them.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
iguenard wrote:... or ship it between Buffalo to Seatle :) 15$ on FedEx.
Wow! Every had US customs search your trunk on the way over the border and give you problems about a box full of bubble-wrapped beer?
Oh yes, though I declare everythoing, and even fill out Prior Notice as per FDA regulations now @ http://www.access.fda.org

You pay 10$ coming in, but they let you get in with boxes all packed up and with US addresses.

Had a big fiasco with them recently.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

sprague11 wrote:Usually I'm a pretty pro-union guy, but considering how shite the service is at Canada Post in the best of times I have barely a sliver of sympathy for them.
ha! no kidding. nevermind the fact snail mail is a declining industry and they want MORE money...
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.