Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Interesting Mill Street Mixed 6-packs

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Interesting Mill Street Mixed 6-packs

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is interesting.

We had at least 4 Mill Street Seasonal Mixed 6 packs come back to our store from different customers this past weekend. Not typically a product that gets returned, but upon inspection, the reason was obvious. They weren't mixed 6's at all. All 4 of them we 6 packs of Mill Street Ginger Beer. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

sell them as breakers, buy them and send them as extras in trades. thats how I would handle that anyway

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Makes me consider buying a Millstreet "mixer". Can you see the bottles inside through the hand hole without opening the box?

Personally, I blame the horrible staff at the LCBO for this mix-up. They clearly took time out from Hitler-worshipping to stick ginger beers in there.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ErkLR wrote:Makes me consider buying a Millstreet "mixer". Can you see the bottles inside through the hand hole without opening the box?

Personally, I blame the horrible staff at the LCBO for this mix-up. They clearly took time out from Hitler-worshipping to stick ginger beers in there.
You been hanging out in Stratford, I see. :) hahahaha . No worries. We've got a solution. It's called friends, beer, and camaraderie. You're welcome to join us and revert.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Can't be surprised people returned them. If the bottled version is like it was on tap, I could drink about half a glass before it became a drain pour. Soooo much ginger. Interesting for sure, and not offensive per say, just couldn't deal with much of it.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

notdan wrote:Can't be surprised people returned them. If the bottled version is like it was on tap, I could drink about half a glass before it became a drain pour. Soooo much ginger. Interesting for sure, and not offensive per say, just couldn't deal with much of it.

For sure. Plus, people are expecting to try 6 different beers.
If I bought one of those packs, and it was all one beer, I'd consider returning it as well, depending on what beer it was.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

SteelbackGuy wrote:If I bought one of those packs, and it was all one beer, I'd consider returning it as well, depending on what beer it was.
...If it was all last years Pilsner I would be overjoyed, the Pilsner from this year would be returned......

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Are the 6 packs suppose to come with one ginger beer? I didn't even know mill st made a ginger beer.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

zaireeka wrote:Are the 6 packs suppose to come with one ginger beer? I didn't even know mill st made a ginger beer.
It's fairly new. Available on tap at the brewpub last fall, and in bottles for the first time for the latest mixed pack.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Why do they bottle a ginger beer but refuse to bottle their Cobblestone Stout, which is an excellent beer?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Why do they bottle a ginger beer but refuse to bottle their Cobblestone Stout, which is an excellent beer?
I would guess it's because the current six-pack is for summer, and contains beers more conducive to warm weather drinking.

Maybe they'll include the Cobblestone in a winter pack?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Why do they bottle a ginger beer but refuse to bottle their Cobblestone Stout, which is an excellent beer?
I would guess it's because the current six-pack is for summer, and contains beers more conducive to warm weather drinking.

I asked this of Steve Abrams a few years back and he said it was because they prefer the stout to be served via nitro, so if they were to package it, they would have to go the widget can route, which they weren't properly set up to do. Perhaps now that they have a canning line (for the Lemon Tea), this may be in the works? I'd love to see the stout (and/or the ESB) in some sort of take home format.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

velovampire wrote:
GregClow wrote:

I asked this of Steve Abrams a few years back and he said it was because they prefer the stout to be served via nitro, so if they were to package it, they would have to go the widget can route, which they weren't properly set up to do. Perhaps now that they have a canning line (for the Lemon Tea), this may be in the works? I'd love to see the stout (and/or the ESB) in some sort of take home format.
I think they posted on Facebook awhile back that if they wanted to use a nitro widget they would basically have to pay a licensing fee ( I think to Diageo as they are the owners of Guinness who hold the patent). So I guess between that and the set up costs it wasn't really something feasible.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

velovampire wrote:
GregClow wrote:

I didn't realize the Cobblestone was nitro. I guess that makes sense though (if that is the issue). Too bad because it is a GREAT stout.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Anyone know if the Roggenbier is coming back this year? I was a big fan of that last year.