Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:Bellwoods is selling their beer in 12 ounce pours for stronger beers, and 16 for others. That is how they are listed on their menu, not as "pints". Perfectly legal and acceptable.
They get credit for putting all that up there. Some places like The County General and Grand Electric don't list the sizes resulting in a surprise on the first visit. :(
lister

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Stevetut wrote:They ARE pouring pints that aren't official measure. Whether I and others consider that a problem will depend on their price for a 16oz. pint. Why is it "off base" for me to ask why that is happening? Apparently at least one other here questions the policy too. Smaller, i.e 12oz., pours for strong beers makes sense and is common in the US as well and nobody objects. I would still like to know the reasoning behind serving 16oz. pints, as it is not your standard practice - if that's not too off base a request.
if it's listed as "16oz" on the menu and not as a "pint", they aren't doing anything wrong. I believe that is what Greg is saying - they advertise a 16oz pour, and you get a 16oz pour. no harm, no foul. they're not advertising a "pint" so none of the rest of your argument is valid.

price per serving is a separate debate. if you're unhappy with the price of your 16oz (or 12oz for the big beers) pour, take it up with the management.

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

grub wrote:
Stevetut wrote:They ARE pouring pints that aren't official measure. Whether I and others consider that a problem will depend on their price for a 16oz. pint. Why is it "off base" for me to ask why that is happening? Apparently at least one other here questions the policy too. Smaller, i.e 12oz., pours for strong beers makes sense and is common in the US as well and nobody objects. I would still like to know the reasoning behind serving 16oz. pints, as it is not your standard practice - if that's not too off base a request.
if it's listed as "16oz" on the menu and not as a "pint", they aren't doing anything wrong. I believe that is what Greg is saying - they advertise a 16oz pour, and you get a 16oz pour. no harm, no foul. they're not advertising a "pint" so none of the rest of your argument is valid.

price per serving is a separate debate. if you're unhappy with the price of your 16oz (or 12oz for the big beers) pour, take it up with the management.
You're technically correct that they don't call it a "pint" and my use of the term has distracted from my point. Regardless of that, it is still quite unusual to encounter 16 oz. "servings" of beer in Canadian pubs. Allow me to repeat my question with a word change - "I would still like to know the reasoning behind serving 16oz. pours, as it is not your standard practice" Would someone also provide prices for the 16oz. servings. Are they lower than the average 20oz. pint? Why would they not offer imperial pints for those who prefer that amount, thereby keeping all happy?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Stevetut wrote:
grub wrote:

You're technically correct that they don't call it a "pint" and my use of the term has distracted from my point. Regardless of that, it is still quite unusual to encounter 16 oz. "servings" of beer in Canadian pubs. Allow me to repeat my question with a word change - "I would still like to know the reasoning behind serving 16oz. pours, as it is not your standard practice" Would someone also provide prices for the 16oz. servings. Are they lower than the average 20oz. pint? Why would they not offer imperial pints for those who prefer that amount, thereby keeping all happy?
i just hope they keep the 4oz sample option

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

matt7215 wrote:i just hope they keep the 4oz sample option
That I like. There are some beer styles that I don't care for or can't stand to drink but I still like trying new beers. Being able to have a sample size is perfect!
lister

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

lister wrote:
That I like. There are some beer styles that I don't care for or can't stand to drink but I still like trying new beers. Being able to have a sample size is perfect!
I'll be trying those at first, before I order several "larger" beers. Nobody has said what the "larger" beers cost though. :)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Stevetut wrote:
lister wrote:
I'll be trying those at first, before I order several "larger" beers. Nobody has said what the "larger" beers cost though. :)
If I recall I remember seeing 7-8 bucks on the board last time - depending if it's a 12oz serving or 16oz - I could be wrong.

Also, all their beers except the pale ale come in branded snifters Which can only hold about 16oz, which may help explain the why-no-20oz question.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Stevetut wrote:You're technically correct that they don't call it a "pint" and my use of the term has distracted from my point. Regardless of that, it is still quite unusual to encounter 16 oz. "servings" of beer in Canadian pubs. Allow me to repeat my question with a word change - "I would still like to know the reasoning behind serving 16oz. pours, as it is not your standard practice" Would someone also provide prices for the 16oz. servings. Are they lower than the average 20oz. pint? Why would they not offer imperial pints for those who prefer that amount, thereby keeping all happy?
it hasn't distracted me from anything. your point was that you're getting ripped off for those 4 ounces because you said they're advertising a pint and you're not getting it. they clearly mark their serving size and you get what they say you get. done. what you "want" is irrelevant.

why do you insist that EVERYONE must want 20oz pours? why aren't we complaining about the 12oz pours on big beers if it's SO UNIVERSAL? it's a stupid and pointless argument. they have chosen their portion sizes and clearly advertised this. as a consumer, that's fine with me. some places have the option for many different serving sizes. they don't. many other places do things other ways too.

as i said, if you don't like the price per pour, take it up with management. anything else is just whining for the sake of whining.

one note in case you think i'm coming off as such: i'm not a bellwoods fanboy and have yet to visit their apparently fine establishment. it's just fucking stupid the shit people find to complain about. if they CLEARLY list their serving size and you get exactly that, any argument involving "pints" is pointless.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Agree with grub.

It's a pointlessly minor quibble.
saintjohnswort.ca

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

Response to grub:

"your point was that you're getting ripped off for those 4 ounces because you said they're advertising a pint and you're not getting it."

Lister said they're serving 16oz. pints, not me. I responded to his information. I never said anything about being ripped off, but I questioned why this was the policy.

"why do you insist that EVERYONE must want 20oz pours?"

Where did I say anything like that? I asked why not provide 20oz. pints for those who PREFER that amount and keep everyone happy.

"why aren't we complaining about the 12oz pours on big beers if it's SO UNIVERSAL?"

I said 12oz. servings of big beers is common and accepted because it makes sense.

"they have chosen their portion sizes and clearly advertised this. as a consumer, that's fine with me." -- "if you don't like the price per pour, take it up with management. anything else is just whining for the sake of whining."

This is a discussion forum. Why is it unreasonable for me to question Bellwood's policy here? JeffPorter said he thinks they charge $7-8 for a 16oz. glass. If that is true, is that also fine with you? I seriously wonder how you and others on this site would react if Volo or C'est What suddenly stopped serving 20oz. pints and began selling 16oz. glasses at $7-8, which is more than what they currently charge for imperial pints. Would you just say "Oh well, that's fine with me. They can choose whatever portion size they want and charge whatever they want"?

I strongly suspect there would be plenty of "whining" here about the unreasonable prices and probably some talk of a boycott.
I'm looking forward to seeing Bellwood's and trying their beers but no matter how good they are or how nice the place is, $7-8 for 16oz. of beer is more than I'll pay except on a one time visit.
Another thing to consider is the effect on size/pricing elsewhere. If people are willing to pay that much at Bellwood's, how long before other pubs begin charging the same?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

as i said - price of pours is a separate discussion, and i at no point argued for or against their pricing. there's no need to start off on a tangent how me or "others" would react if (insert establishment name) changed their pricing. at no point did I say you should stop discussing price, just pointed out that it's better taken up with management as bartowel isn't exactly setting the prices.

your entire argument was centered around pour size - "why no 20oz pour? this is the canada standard, etc, etc". that's exactly what i was arguing against, and exactly what I said was pointless whining. I really don't care what size things are poured in. since you mentioned them, volo uses multiple sizes and prices depending on the beer. i have never chosen one beer over another simply based on the size of the serving, so volo (or anyone else) changing their serving sizes to something other than 20oz would be perfectly fine with me - especially since they already have many things served in smaller sizes. in fact, i think their bigger/fancier stuff is often in an 8oz pour. are you going to insist this be 12oz since you seem to think that some sort of big beer standard? just furthers the pointlessness of the serving size argument.

like you, i don't want to be told i'm getting a "pint" and get something else, but that's the only place i'd draw a line as it's a false advertising thing.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i've got news for you...

most bars are selling higher-end craft beer in tulip glasses, not pint glasses.
check the latest Volo menus. most drinks have the tulip-glass asterix beside them.

its part of the evolving beer scene. if you're going to drink in a nice space with prime real estate and drink high quality beer, its not going to be a $6 pint.

and to be honest, i'm fine with paying that price. its the cost of going out. if i don't want to pay that, then i'll drink at home.

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

grub wrote:as i said - price of pours is a separate discussion, and i at no point argued for or against their pricing. there's no need to start off on a tangent how me or "others" would react if (insert establishment name) changed their pricing. at no point did I say you should stop discussing price, just pointed out that it's better taken up with management as bartowel isn't exactly setting the prices.

your entire argument was centered around pour size - "why no 20oz pour? this is the canada standard, etc, etc". that's exactly what i was arguing against, and exactly what I said was pointless whining. I really don't care what size things are poured in. since you mentioned them, volo uses multiple sizes and prices depending on the beer. i have never chosen one beer over another simply based on the size of the serving, so volo (or anyone else) changing their serving sizes to something other than 20oz would be perfectly fine with me - especially since they already have many things served in smaller sizes. in fact, i think their bigger/fancier stuff is often in an 8oz pour. are you going to insist this be 12oz since you seem to think that some sort of big beer standard? just furthers the pointlessness of the serving size argument.

like you, i don't want to be told i'm getting a "pint" and get something else, but that's the only place i'd draw a line as it's a false advertising
thing.
I conceded the point that they don't call their large glass a pint. It was Lister who said they did. I initially questioned why they served less than 20oz. and am still curious about their reasons. I never disputed their RIGHT to do so. If they charged 3/4 the usual cost of an imperial pint for 3/4 the amount, I would have stopped there. The discussion evolved from there to the matter of value when it was said they charge $7 -8.

Volo offers several sizes depending on the type of beer, but I'm not concerned with big, Belgian, or rare beers. I don't think 12oz. is THE big beer standard, for god's sake - I just used it as an example because others had refered to it. JEEEZ! Normal strength beers in your craft beer pubs almost always come in imperial pints (or half pints). I do think many would object if Volo began serving them 4oz. less per glass while charging even more.

My points are valid and worth discussing here. Taking it up with Bellwood's owners is a good option for any who think their prices are too high, but that shouldn't discourage discussion of the issue here. Isn't this one of the purposes of Bar Towel?

I still think $7-8 for 16oz. of normal strength craft beer is very high and hope it doesn't become common. I wonder why people seem willing to pay that.
Last edited by Stevetut on Wed May 16, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stevetut

Post by Stevetut »

atomeyes wrote:i've got news for you...

most bars are selling higher-end craft beer in tulip glasses, not pint glasses.
check the latest Volo menus. most drinks have the tulip-glass asterix beside them.

its part of the evolving beer scene. if you're going to drink in a nice space with prime real estate and drink high quality beer, its not going to be a $6 pint.

and to be honest, i'm fine with paying that price. its the cost of going out. if i don't want to pay that, then i'll drink at home.

That may be true for so-called "higher end" or specialty craft beers, but are you saying the next time I order a regular IPA or Porter from an Ontario craft brewery at C'est What that I'll get it in a tulip glass?? I certainly hope not - that would drastically decrease my trips to Toronto! :)

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Stevetut wrote:I conceded the point that they don't call their large glass a pint. It was Lister who said they did.
*I* called them pints. I never said *THEY* called them pints.
lister