Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where the heck to start?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I would second or third buying "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Easy to read, understand and get started with - plus it has a ton of detail which will keep you referring back to it time and time again.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

'm in the same boat - wanting to get starting, but it seems VERY daunting...Have read parts of How to Brew, I'm also thinking about getting festabrew supplies from Magnotta...

My question...what kind of bottles should a "first-time-brewer" get? Is it worth it to spend the money and buy some flip tops to save headaches?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

JeffPorter wrote:My question...what kind of bottles should a "first-time-brewer" get? Is it worth it to spend the money and buy some flip tops to save headaches?
I did this, and ended up spending a ton of cash. I guess I'm still using those bottles, and they work very well, but still.

I would just keep all your pry-off bottles, clean them up and they are as good as new. Buy some caps and a capper and let er rip.

Or better yet, just start kegging immediately. I wish I had.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

markaberrant wrote:
cmadd wrote:Where does one join these clubs?
Move to Regina and join the ALES club!

In Toronto, check out the Southern Ontario Brewers.
Their website is http://www.areyouansob.com/ easy to join, just post an intro about yourself in the intro section before you start posting to the forum.
I recommend the November Learn2Brew day, it's usually held at the Amsterdam brewery and there is usually at least 10 setups going from a simple extract setup to a Brutus. Better still, you can volunteer to assist one of the brewers, I did this last year and through it I met up with a whole network of brewers in my area in Hamilton. We meet regularly and have tasting and brewing sessions, lots of fun!

Keep an eye on the Learn2Brew website
http://learn2brew.ca/index.html
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

markaberrant wrote:
I would just keep all your pry-off bottles, clean them up and they are as good as new. Buy some caps and a capper and let er rip.
Any particular size of bottles that people like to use? I was thinking keeping all my 650ml bombers...seems like a good size.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JeffPorter wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
Any particular size of bottles that people like to use? I was thinking keeping all my 650ml bombers...seems like a good size.
My personal fave is the German 500ml Weiss bottles (Schneider, Amsterdam). With most of the euro brewers, the labels come off very easily.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/