Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rhino needs a draught slate, badly

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Rhino needs a draught slate, badly

Post by Belgian »

Is it just me?

Many a time I go in there I ask for a new beer/draught list and I get the drama that it's a really big pain to get me this list, or they just don't give one and impatiently prattle off (some) of the beers on draught.

The implied message is 'we have some new bottles we won't tell you about, but why not just settle for one of the draught options, at least the ones I can think of which should be enough.'

That's mental.

At least a simple chalk board or two showing what's on tap would help them keep their sanity. Rhino does have some great beers, and that's all I want to know about.

Anybody know the manager?
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:Anybody know the manager?
Yes.

Chris is a great guy, and this issue has been discussed with him many times. He knows it a problem, but despite his good intentions to change it (as well as other things that are keeping the place from meeting its full potential), nothing ever happens.

It's a shame.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My sanity thanks you for the reply.

I really like the place and encourage others - generally it is the work of somebody who understands beer, but they unfortunately don't always understand how to sell it.

Witness the multiple chalk blackboards at Bar Volo, and servers who really support, well, selling what they have at the moment, which is a real plus in my book.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

GregClow wrote:
Belgian wrote:Anybody know the manager?
Yes.

Chris is a great guy, and this issue has been discussed with him many times. He knows it a problem, but despite his good intentions to change it (as well as other things that are keeping the place from meeting its full potential), nothing ever happens.

It's a shame.
I agree. I also know Chris, and I know that he knows that there is a lot of things they could do better. I also know not ALL of it's in his control. He has partners he's working with.

The Rhino has a delicate balance. It isn't like Volo where it's just all us beer geeks. Some of it's us in there...some of it's old Pakdale dudes drinking Rhino lager cause it's cheap, and then there's hipster D.B.s who just want the bottles of Zyweic. And some nights their can be absolutely insane - not, "Oh, I'm sorry I bumped into to you" insane at Volo, insane like bartenders chasing patrons down the street for running out with their pints.

So while I agree staff could be more on top of things, their often dealing with a lot...

But yeah, draft slate would be nice. I've really only found in recent weeks have they been sloppy. In the past they're lists have been pretty up to date I think. Often I just as "what's on that new?" and they're pretty good...

But then, you know, when I'm sipping on a pint of Robohob for $5.75, or bottles that are up to 50% cheaper then I'd pay at Volo, it's easily to forgive them their short comings...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Come on. Draught boards aren't hard to put up and they save everyone's time. Staff would be happier & do better work not having to repeat the choices 1,000 times.

Good prices though, true. If they actually have & come back with the requested bottle 20 minutes later (I tend to stick to the New List just because the huge main list is very hit-and-miss, and I hate sending them on a scavenger hunt 2 or 3 times.)
In Beerum Veritas

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

A lot of us affectionately refer to The Rhino's selection as 'Tap Roulette' as often even after you choose a beer, it's not always what you get..
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

They actually do have a board to the left of the Rhino, but it's just their regular stuff. I think, ultimately, Belgian, you're right...they should do it like at volo...update it everyday early in the day, and cross stuff out when it goes...

I actually think what helps volo is numbering the taps on the board, then a line gets rubbed out until that tap gets replaced...it'd be easy for staff too...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
If they actually have & come back with the requested bottle 20 minutes later (I tend to stick to the New List just because the huge main list is very hit-and-miss, and I hate sending them on a scavenger hunt 2 or 3 times.)
Me too - although, sometimes I pick out three and see what they come back up with...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's a good strategy - we could call it 'bottle roulette' since it's pretty random to sell beer this way. However they have some shibby stuff. I can deal with the Faraway Beer Dungeon thing.
JeffPorter wrote:They actually do have a board to the left of the Rhino, but it's just their regular stuff.
Yeah, a tiny illegible far-away board with no lights over it, LOL. As you say old news is no news.

And Garth I have never gotten a wrong tap pour; I actually feel like I am cross-examining the poor barstaff whenever I order a pint, but you kinda have to.
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

A draft board would be good foor the staff too. I ordered a Mad Tom last night and one bartender had to ask the other bartender a) if they had it and b) which tap it was on. Yeesh.
At least the "waterless" urinal was working...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The Rhino is great if you go in with low expectations in terms of service! Agree that it is a frustrating place to get a good beer sometimes. Why go to the bother of having a wide selection of different bottles and drafts if the staff don't know or can't be bothered to be knowledgeable of them, let alone serve them.
FYI I've enjoyed the Spearhead Hawaiian there recently.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

A group of us went to The Rhino after Session 99 and we were fairly impressed with the place. Went straight up to the bar (the best strategy, I'm guessing?), ordered three pints of 10 Bitter Years, and marvelled at the enormous bottle list. Even took a gamble on the food and it was quite good. By the sounds of it, though, our impression was skewed by the fact that none of us actually ordered any of the bottles.

Regarding the lazy service and ignorant staff - sadly this seems to be a common problem at a number of "second rate" beer spots in Ontario. Here in London, The Black Shire has a sizable micro tap lineup, but the staff are ridiculously uninformed. The only reason I get decent service is because I sit at the bar, take a quick look at the tap handles, and make my choice without asking any questions. I was speaking with an American beer geek at Gambrinus last night, and he said he didn't know The Shire offered any craft beers because the waitress didn't even mention them when he was ordering on the patio. And that's really unfortunate, since this guy was eager to taste some Ontario craft beers and explore the city's micro-oriented bars. Needless to say, updated beer menus, chalkboards, and informed staff go a long way in providing a proper, enjoyable experience at the pub.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:A group of us went to The Rhino after Session 99 and we were fairly impressed with the place. Went straight up to the bar (the best strategy, I'm guessing?), ordered three pints of 10 Bitter Years, and marvelled at the enormous bottle list. Even took a gamble on the food and it was quite good. By the sounds of it, though, our impression was skewed by the fact that none of us actually ordered any of the bottles.

Regarding the lazy service and ignorant staff - sadly this seems to be a common problem at a number of "second rate" beer spots in Ontario. Here in London, The Black Shire has a sizable micro tap lineup, but the staff are ridiculously uninformed. The only reason I get decent service is because I sit at the bar, take a quick look at the tap handles, and make my choice without asking any questions. I was speaking with an American beer geek at Gambrinus last night, and he said he didn't know The Shire offered any craft beers because the waitress didn't even mention them when he was ordering on the patio. And that's really unfortunate, since this guy was eager to taste some Ontario craft beers and explore the city's micro-oriented bars. Needless to say, updated beer menus, chalkboards, and informed staff go a long way in providing a proper, enjoyable experience at the pub.

Sadly, the shire isn't the only spot in London with laughable service.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
cratez wrote:A group of us went to The Rhino after Session 99 and we were fairly impressed with the place. Went straight up to the bar (the best strategy, I'm guessing?), ordered three pints of 10 Bitter Years, and marvelled at the enormous bottle list. Even took a gamble on the food and it was quite good. By the sounds of it, though, our impression was skewed by the fact that none of us actually ordered any of the bottles.

Sadly, the shire isn't the only spot in London with laughable service.
for what its worth the shire recently changed management