Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Towel announces the Golden Tap Awards

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hi everyone,

Wanted to give the forum a sneak peek of the new initiative that I’m unveiling this weekend at the St. Lawrence beer show:

The Bar Towel, Toronto's Premier Beer Resource, is proud to announce the creation of the <b>GOLDEN TAP AWARDS</b>, recognizing the best in beer that the Greater Toronto Area has to offer, as voted on by you!

From now until July 31, 2003, all visitors to http://www.goldentap.com can vote for their favourite pubs, brewpubs, microbreweries and beers in the GTA.

Categories in the inaugural Golden Tap Awards include:

Best GTA microbrewery
Best GTA brewpub
Best GTA beer bar (draught selection)
Best GTA beer bar (bottled selection)
Best GTA-produced beer

All nominations in each category have been selected by the Bar Towel's editorial staff. However, voters can add their own nominations in each category. These awards are for the GTA only, which includes the City of Toronto and the regions of Halton, Peel, York and Durham. Sorry, but these awards do not include the rest of the province this year.

Winners in each category will receive a commemorative plaque celebrating their Golden Tap Award.

So have your say about the best in beer in the GTA! Please visit http://www.goldentap.com to vote for your favourite pubs, breweries and beer. Winners will be announced later in the summer, hopefully at an awards event.

SirIsm

Post by SirIsm »

Great iniative Cass...awesome idea. One question for you: you aren't funding this yourself are you? If so, we'll have to make you a patron saint of beer...that is if you haven't attained that status already!!!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Excellent!

And here's hoping for a completely kick-ass awards ceremony. :wink:

Greg

howardt

Post by howardt »

Cass,

Disappointed to see Creemore passed over for your illustrious awards page. We sell about 70% of our beer in the GTA so I guess we feel like a permanent guest. Same could be said for Welly (best cask conditioned perhaps?). The survey works great (short and quick). I liked the "other" option and voted for myself anyway :smile:

Cheers all

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I didn't pass you over Howard. These awards are for breweries/pubs that reside in the GTA, not simply sell in it. Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could be in the introduction.

If I didn't restrict this to just the GTA, the awards would be much bigger than I wanted them to be for the first go-around.

Cass

howardt

Post by howardt »

Sorry,

I'm slow and didn't cotton on to your acronym...good one.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

When will the results be posted (he says wondering if he missed this information being posted already.)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'll announce the winners after the voting closes. Actually, I would love to announce them at an awards party, if I can get one off the ground!