Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Hallowe'en Beers 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

iguenard wrote: in the same powerful sense as this year's McAuslan Impy Stout, which is all about whack-you-in-the-face flavours.
Does the McAuslan taste different than last year's batch?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
iguenard wrote: in the same powerful sense as this year's McAuslan Impy Stout, which is all about whack-you-in-the-face flavours.
Does the McAuslan taste different than last year's batch?
I drank it room temp, so might not be the best first impressions. 2009 I think is the best so far, drank in 2009, it was vanilla, really strong bourbon character, nice strong, chocoloatey base.

The 2010 for me was too acrid. The burnt malt came too strong and overwhelmed the beer.

The 2011, from first impressions is way more "toasty", like toasted malts, light coffee, torrefaction-like character that barely brings any bourbon flavours to light.

Maybe the barrels are too old? Have they been re-using their barrels, sure tastes like it. Though its hard to give a final opinion on a 20'C beer. I'll reserve judgement for when I drink it a tad cooler. But I found it extremely tasty, not as bad as say Dark lord, but surely in Quebec's top-3 strongest flavored beer ever. 5.99$ here, btw.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

For the record, I think that only Allagash can produce consistently flavoured barrel aged beers across vintages, mainly because they have such a large barrel program, and display a lot of talent in blending across batches.

Artists, these men are.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
iguenard wrote:I happen to like the Ghosttown a LOT.
The anise is strong just like hops is strong in west coast IPAs. If you dont like hops, doesnt mean Pliny is shite beer, and if you dont like anise that much, doesnt mean Ghosttown sucks.
I agree completely. While I don't like absinthe or anise flavour, and hence expected the worst going into the beer, I was impressed
Those are great points, and going on about not liking anise flavors in an absinthe stout has no point. It's like saying German Doppelbocks are not hoppy and extreme enough.

'Shoe - meet other foot!'
In Beerum Veritas

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Corne Du Diable 4 pack just showed up at my local 'BO. Hopefully I can get over there to pick one up on my break. Now, just have to wait for the Peche Mortel...
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I still have a 2008 and some 2009 peche mortel left. will be interesting to do a comparison

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

sprague11 wrote:I still have a 2008 and some 2009 peche mortel left. will be interesting to do a comparison
Coffee will be real faded.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

liamt07 wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I still have a 2008 and some 2009 peche mortel left. will be interesting to do a comparison
But it's not! It's still better than awesome. Even better than better than awesome. It keeps getting betterer! It's just smoother and more cohesive. But still lots of coffee.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

My all time favorite sampling of Peche Mortel was a keg at the brewpub that as a year or two old and released around Mondial, the coffee diminished and let the chocolatey roast character come through more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The_Jester wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
But it's not! It's still better than awesome. Even better than better than awesome. It keeps getting betterer! It's just smoother and more cohesive. But still lots of coffee.
Agreed, they put the equal of two shots espresso in each bottle, where do you think those volatile aromatic compounds are going to go (answer: they remain in the bottle.) It becomes more smooth and liqueur-like with less 'edge.'

A good investment for the cellar, especially facing world economic collapse over the next week.
In Beerum Veritas