Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

"Ontario Chili"

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

"Ontario Chili"

Post by JeffPorter »

I have a chili competition next week, and want to make an all-Ontario chili (as close to it as I can...) here's what I got so far...

Tomatoes (Brampton)
Garlic (Brampton)
Habaneros (Brampton - btw - incredibly hot!)
Beef (Kawarthas)
wild rice (Kawarthas)

what kind of Ontario beer would you use? I'm almost thinking a Muskoka DCCS - chocolate's often used in chili recipes.

Any other Ontario suggestions...I'm tempted to just say screw the Ontario thing and just throw in a Peche - but it would be cool to keep it ontario based.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I can rarely taste the difference beer makes in a strong-flavoured recipe like chili, but chocolate? I would go for a plain stout before anything flavoured.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

ErkLR wrote:I can rarely taste the difference beer makes in a strong-flavoured recipe like chili, but chocolate? I would go for a plain stout before anything flavoured.
Dark chocolate is used religiously in traditional Mexican chili recipes. It adds some real depth and complexity to the flavour profile. I think the DCCS would be perfect. I'm having one right now and I'll be using it to make a bison chili this weekend.

Jeff, the only thing I would add to your recipe is some tasty Ontario mushrooms (we have some great growers in Ontario), but then again, not everyone is a fan of mushrooms in their chili.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The Mick wrote:
Jeff, the only thing I would add to your recipe is some tasty Ontario mushrooms (we have some great growers in Ontario), but then again, not everyone is a fan of mushrooms in their chili.
I think you're right...Bruno (fun guy farms) has great oyster and shitakes.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I always add a topuch of cinammon to my chili for a je ne sais quoi...and then use a porter or stout, anything with a cholclately malt base works well...have used Peche before and turned out awesome...Sounds good Jeff!
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

you could always use nutcracker porter...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'd lean toward sweet, and not too roasty or hoppy - and also cheap. No big ten-dollar beers. You'd do very well with a bottle of Trois Pistoles and one or two Sinha Stout (combining beers might add complexity.)

I know that's not Ontario but gee, put in Hockley or Wellington if you want. Teichert Smoked Porter is/was pretty ideal as well (for its cost I'd rather drink that beast than cook with it.) Can you cook with a soured Trafalgar, it can be very similar to Flanders red.

Another approach is your unwanted holiday beers. Does the new Mill Street Barley Wine suck - well could it be a good chili ingredient? Same with any new Belgian ales you find a bit weird and sweet, toss 'em in the pot and see what you get. I've been meaning for years to cook with Kasteel Donker.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Black Creek Stout (a very pleasant surprise, BTW) or Grand River Russian Gun RIS.