Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Church Key West Coast Pale Ale

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Church Key West Coast Pale Ale

Post by cratez »

Not sure when this was announced, or how long it's been available, but I see that Church Key's West Coast Pale Ale is now on LCBO shelves in several cities across the province (Toronto, Ottawa, London, Kingston, Peterborough) and a few smaller communities as well. No stock showing in Mississauga, Hamilton, and K-W yet; hopefully that's just temporary. I've enjoyed this beer on tap a few times and if the bottled version is anything like the draft then it's certainly worth a purchase. Cheers
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

$13.75 / 6er seems kinda pricey

ill give it a shot if i see it but it'll have to be outstanding for me to repeat purchase at that price

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I'm pretty wary of Church Key stuff, but if it's generally appreciated by BT folks maybe I'll give this one a shot.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I had some this summer from the brewery and it was full of dms. I really hope for there sake these bottles are good, because this seems to be their first big push into new markets. I look forward to trying it again. I have been satisfied with there north humberland ale. It was excellent on the dock at my cottage.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

andrewrg wrote:I'm pretty wary of Church Key stuff
+1, I've had a lot of their stuff, I think ive only actually enjoyed one beer from them.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

cratez wrote:Not sure when this was announced, or how long it's been available, but I see that Church Key's West Coast Pale Ale is now on LCBO shelves in several cities across the province (Toronto, Ottawa, London, Kingston, Peterborough) and a few smaller communities as well. No stock showing in Mississauga, Hamilton, and K-W yet; hopefully that's just temporary. I've enjoyed this beer on tap a few times and if the bottled version is anything like the draft then it's certainly worth a purchase. Cheers
It's been out for about a month/6 weeks. The sixer I got about a month ago was decent enough, but I seemed to recall liking it more in earlier incarnations. Worth an try if you've not had it before, but ultimately no reason to buy this/seek it out with far superior/more consistent/cheaper Crazy Canuck available.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I liked it when I've gotten it at the brewery. Agree about Crazy Canuck being superior.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

velovampire wrote: The sixer I got about a month ago was decent enough, but I seemed to recall liking it more in earlier incarnations...ultimately no reason to buy this/seek it out with...Crazy Canuck available.
Drinking a West Coast now and I agree that the Canuck is a more aromatic, flavourful, and accurate interpretation of the APA style, and cheaper to boot. But this Church Key brew is no slouch either. It's got a nice grainy and biscuity pale malt character with fruity-citric hops (apricot, grapefruit), a bold astringent bitterness, and bone dry finish. You can tell they used Chinook, as the IBUs seem pretty high. Some folks might even say acrid, but I personally enjoy the higher-than-usual bitterness.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

cratez wrote:...No stock showing in Mississauga, Hamilton, and K-W yet; hopefully that's just temporary...
Nah, you can have whatever KW might get.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JesseM wrote: Nah, you can have whatever KW might get.
As in you don't like the beer, or K-W gets crappy releases? I don't get it. :-?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Amazingly, the CK facility produced my first tried & only version of Scotch Irish Sgt Majors IPA I ever liked. VERY funky beautiful hop aroma, was so original and delicious!

Then they crank out these questionable 'hello we're Ontario pretending to be California' beers. You can't underestimate the hand of the brew master (in this case, SI founder Perry Mason who made decent beers with Church Key and even 1 or 2 with Heritage that were not complete fails.) Be great if CK hired Mason to do something with a real stamp of authenticity. He's selling Acuras.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:Mason ......... He's selling Acuras.
just goes to show that it takes more then brewing good beer to make money in the industry

keep in mind that his IPA and IRS recipes are currently owned by a brewery who isnt doing anything with them

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

... as well as the province's best Session Bitter and Plain Porter...
In Beerum Veritas

notdan

Post by notdan »

The Manx pretty much always has this beer on tap and it's consistently been in good form. I hope the bottled version does well.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Well so much for my initial positive review. Last night's bottle was loaded with DMS and diacetyl. I wreaked of buttered vegetables and popcorn after taking a few sips, and for some reason the bitterness had completely faded as well. Buyer beware. :(