Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

wtf @ craft beer prices rising?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Brewbert

wtf @ craft beer prices rising?

Post by Brewbert »

Mad tom is now 13.45... Unibroue six packs went up a full dollar!?... Glad I'm moving to bc. 15 mins from the border... What's goin on!? I've noticed other beers skyrocketing too

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

The most egregious pricing, though I'm not sure it's part of a global price-raising conspiracy, is Muskoka's Double Chocolate at 10.75. No idea why a locally produced beer needs to cost so much.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Hop prices got a lot of press a few years ago... and while some varieties were limited, it really didn't significantly affect the cost of a brew.

FWIW, you need about 50 times more malt (than hops) for a brew...
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... ll/agc7137

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

With the rise in popularity comes the rise in price. Don't expect any different south of the border. The prices at Premier Gourmet have steadily increased over the last five years, and it wouldn't surprise if it were the same thing everywhere. Supply, demand etc.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Brewbert wrote:Mad tom is now 13.45... Unibroue six packs went up a full dollar!?... Glad I'm moving to bc. 15 mins from the border... What's goin on!? I've noticed other beers skyrocketing too
You mean like the $11 six packs of two hearted and huma lupa licious that my wife just brought back? That doesn't include the duty she got dinged for, the bridge toll, gas or lunch.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Craft Beer in the states is quickly distancing itself from it's BMC bretheran when it comes to pricing. Sure good old Sierra Nevada is priced right, but check out a 4 pack of Dogfish Head, or any of their bombers and it's heading up there.

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

True, but my last visit to premier gourmet in buffalo (we went xmas shopping there on states black friday so it was worth it) a 6 pack of southern tier x2 ipa is like..... 9.99.... Here to get 6 is fucking like 17 dollars what a joke. Does the LCBO think Southern tiers stuff is made in solid gold equipment?

I digress.... My go to beers there are still under 10 bucks for a 6 pack and i dont get charged duty if i bring 4 6 packs (24 bottles). Hopefully my goto dont rise :(

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

All of this is why I homebrew.

I can brew 5 gallons of a hoppier, fresher IPA for the price of a 6 pack of Southern Tier, oh and it's on tap ;)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Brewbert wrote:... a 6 pack of southern tier x2 ipa is like..... 9.99.... Here to get 6 is fucking like 17 dollars what a joke. Does the LCBO think Southern tiers stuff is made in solid gold equipment?
Buffalo has its pricing issues too, the Green Flash IPA was a lot more expensive than it tasted.

Maybe some brewers down there like Great Lakes, Southern Tier and a few others can afford to be cheap in a more regional market, one with no border control issues.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, the taxes are the real killer... homebrew IS the answer.

On Malt prices... it could get interesting. The markets in China & India are expanding, the Americans are pushing corn for fuel and the Canadian Wheat board is dead. By 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if malt prices are 5 times higher than they were in 2010.

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

Derek wrote:Yeah, the taxes are the real killer... homebrew IS the answer.

On Malt prices... it could get interesting. The markets in China & India are expanding, the Americans are pushing corn for fuel and the Canadian Wheat board is dead. By 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if malt prices are 5 times higher than they were in 2010.
Wish I knew how to home brew.. or had the money to buy the equipment. I'd be doing it already
elproducto wrote:All of this is why I homebrew.

I can brew 5 gallons of a hoppier, fresher IPA for the price of a 6 pack of Southern Tier, oh and it's on tap ;)
-jealous- how D:

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's not the cheapest, but it's a good start:
http://www.magnotta.com/festabrew/Searc ... %20reserve

In terms of equipment, you could start with a fermenting bucket, bottling cane and some caps (use bleach to sanitize and table sugar to prime).

Once you're bit by the bug, read this:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/index.html

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:It's not the cheapest, but it's a good start:

In terms of equipment, you could start with a fermenting bucket, bottling cane and some caps (use bleach to sanitize and table sugar to prime).

Just tasted my first samples of my annual American Barleywine, Cherry Mead and Cherry Flanders Red that were brewed this fall... reminds me why I love homebrewing, when you really nail a batch, not a damn thing comes close to it. I'd put these 3 particular batches up against the best commercial offerings. The fact that the price per bottle is incredibly low is just icing on the cake.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

All I can add is get used to it. With governments holding rates near zero it is bound to create lots of inflation.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Derek wrote:It's not the cheapest, but it's a good start:

Thanks for the lnks. I was planning on starting to homebrew and this looks like the right place to start. I'm going to pick up the West Coast IPA and all the equipment I need and place to start the boil on my week off. Thanks and Cheers!!