Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

what to bring to a party...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

what to bring to a party...

Post by JeffPorter »

My department's holiday party is coming up...

No one is into "craft" beer so I thought it'd be fun to bring a few "unique" bottles...what would you bring?

I thought bombers would be fun to share - my first thought is SuperCollider and LTM PB as it would be something they could get. If I was really nice, I'd bring one of my last Tempests, though...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JeffPorter wrote: SuperCollider and LTM PB
Those are bold brews even by beer geek standards, and are unlikely to "wow" people who are new to craft beer. Something mellower and season-appropriate like Great Lakes Winter Ale or the featured Fuller's beers might be more popular. Just my two cents.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Peche Mortel, if you can get it. Most non-beer geeks I know who have tried Peche, love it. They can't believe a beer can taste like coffee!

High alcohol beers always go down well.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Torontoblue wrote:Peche Mortel, if you can get it. Most non-beer geeks I know who have tried Peche, love it. They can't believe a beer can taste like coffee!

High alcohol beers always go down well.
If you want a nicer presentation, LOB Mocha Porter in the big bottle would do as well.

Along the same presentation lines, there are still some Harvest Ales kicking around, definitely bolder than the beer most of them will be used to consuming, but not as frightening as Super Collider.

I think big bottles are definitely the way to go - people would certainly be more inclined (I think) to have a small sample from a large bottle rather than be faced with the uncertainty of opening a standard bottle and feeling they have to finish the whole thing, whether they like it or not. If they're not already drinking good beer, they're likely not the adventurous type, therefore probably wouldn't go for the uncertain option.

Beau's Lug Tread or NightMarzen would probably go over well. Attractive package, fairly accessible flavours.

The aforementioned GLB Winter Ale - and I would add the Peach Wheat as well - should be crowd pleasers.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It really depends on the people...

I've had odd looks at the notion of sharing a bottle... even a 650ml bottle, as beer is something they generally drink from a bottle (or can)! Heck, I've even had odd looks for just using a glass!

Mix packs are good, OCB, Mill St... also I think Dead Frog is in the self-serve TBS now.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

So ixnay on the Porter Baltique-ay? Actually, at an x-mas party last year I had good success with Muskoka DCCS.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I go through this with my wifes relatives every time they visit. Some results more baffling than others

Successes:

Fullers 1845
Ommegang Zuur (!!!)
Surly Hell
King Pilsner
Saison Dupont
Troegs Sunshine Pilsner
Any Witbier

Not so much:
Any IPA - they are not Hops people
Anything Barrel Aged
Any Barley WIne

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

Well ...

Dennison's hefeweizen is great for people who don't like the bitter flavours associated with beer.

Amsterdam's Frambroise (note -- lots of old bottles around, check the date code, all new bottles have one). Very nice when fresh.

And, to throw something out ... I've given out a lot of homebrew to my neighbours over the years. Some of them like surprisingly hoppy beers with low esters, others like more British-y bitters, some of them developed a fondness for quads / Belgian strong ales, and so forth. You just never know.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

id take:
Great Lakes Crazy Canuck or FM Smash Bomb (hops)
King Dark Lager or Celebrator (malt)
La Chouffe or Duvel (yeast)
and either FMSC or LTMBP (for the adventurous)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

La Chouffe seems like a nice idea and seasonally appropriate...

I think I'll take, GL Winter Ale, La Choufe, and wth, LTM PB

Cheers and thanks everyone...

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

matt7215 wrote:id take:
Great Lakes Crazy Canuck or FM Smash Bomb (hops)
King Dark Lager or Celebrator (malt)
La Chouffe or Duvel (yeast)
and either FMSC or LTMBP (for the adventurous)
I forgot about the Celebrator. 8)

Black Oak Nut Brown is a good malt-forward brew as well.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I'd stick with a holiday beer or seasonal that you can say is specially brewed around this time of year. So Great Lakes Winter Ale or Muskoka Double Choc Cran Stout.
I know I'd like the Baltique Porter or a Unibroue 17 or something along those lines...but I also know in my family the high % beers scare people.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:So ixnay on the Porter Baltique-ay? Actually, at an x-mas party last year I had good success with Muskoka DCCS.
Well it depends. Are not a lot of people wine drinkers? Both beers you mention are less shocking to the palate & less alcohol than a fairly bold red wine.

I like the La Chouffe suggestion, even the 'Belgium Beers' packs, and anything seasonal like GL winter or pick up some Nutcracker at Black Oak. Any Chistmas-y theme of warming, spicy or decadent.

The only beers SOME wine drinkers may resist have unfamiliar tastes of strong hops, funkiness (saison) or sharp sourness (gueuze). Then again I might be wrong and unexpectedly people may love the deep warmth & resiny complexity of Super Collider. It's all how the person's brain is wired, are they adventuresome, are they curious, or are they more like frightened rabbits.

And if people have NO experience with decent wine or bold flavors, and resist everything new I would just let that one go - it's too much work 'selling' to people and the information won't stick. There really is a large market for Shiraz Heads and Coors Lightweights.
In Beerum Veritas

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

The Mill St. Seasonal Mix Pack could be a hit. I picked one up today so I could try the Fanconian Bock and ESB ,which I've never had before. I'll likely drink the Coffee and Tankhouse, but the Organic and Stock will be given away to Molbatt friends over the holidays when their at my place, run out of beer and aren't ready to try any of my "funky stuff"

Chances are you could find a nice home for each bottle in the pack with someone at party.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

SMC

Post by SMC »

Going to have to go against most posts and say that I think $10 seasonal bombers are a bad idea. If you're trying to convert people to craft you'll want something a little more accessible, not beers that require you to go on some adventure and watch inventory. Basically stuff you can get at the Beer Store such as King, Mill Street, Muskoka and Wellington which should provide enough variety in beer styles to maybe get a few synapses firing.

Edit: Oh and some St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout to win over some of the Guinness drinkers(there's always a few).