Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fuller's Black Cab Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Fuller's Black Cab Stout

Post by cratez »

Now on cask at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe. I believe they're the only bar in Ontario that managed to snag a firkin.

Described by the brewery as "a rich, dark beer celebrating one of the iconic images of London, England. Brewed with a combination of five different malts, some heavily roasted for a near jet black appearance, Black Cab Stout is 4.2% ABV and features luxurious red berry notes, toasty aromas on the nose, and culminates in a dry, bitter finish."

I haven't tried this yet but I'll be sampling it tonight and I plan to report back with my thoughts tomorrow. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:Now on cask at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe. I believe they're the only bar in Ontario that managed to snag a firkin.

Described by the brewery as "a rich, dark beer celebrating one of the iconic images of London, England. Brewed with a combination of five different malts, some heavily roasted for a near jet black appearance, Black Cab Stout is 4.2% ABV and features luxurious red berry notes, toasty aromas on the nose, and culminates in a dry, bitter finish."

I haven't tried this yet but I'll be sampling it tonight and I plan to report back with my thoughts tomorrow. Cheers!
Well, clearly I need to get me to London at some point to go to Gambrinus.

Sounds like a great beer. I think my absolute favourite cask (I think) is London Porter. It's just so great! They really are classic beers!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Tried this tonight and really enjoyed it. Did not seem very stout like to me, more like a less hopped netherworld. Would order it again.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

LondonBeer wrote: Tried this tonight and really enjoyed it...Would order it again.
I like it as well. It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's tasty and quaffable enough to enjoy a few. This is my review on BA:

3.7 / 5
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On cask at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe in London, ON.

Taps a dark brown hue, bordering on black, with deep ruby edges, one finger of beige head, and tons of spotted lacing on the shaker glass. A very promising appearance.

Smell is toasty, roasted and nutty malts with hints of molasses, anise, fresh ground coffee, and unsweetened chocolate. Slight phenolic note as well. Subtle yet enticing aromas.

Flavour follows the nose with light roasted malt and cocoa powder upfront, mild berry-like tartness mid-palate, balanced English hop bitterness transitions to a toasted/coffee aftertaste. Good.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, medium-bodied, moderate hop bitterness precedes a bone dry, chalky finish. Super drinkable.

Overall, Black Cab is a solid full-flavoured Dry Stout with one of the chalkiest palates that I've encountered in a while. A great pick for a wintertime session. Thanks for bringing this in, Milos!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott