Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Ten Bitter Years

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Black Oak Ten Bitter Years

Post by TwoPint »

I know this is being discussed under the "What're you drinking right now?" thread but for those people (like me) who rarely look at it, I thought it would be helpful to have it under Beer Reviews.

Ten Bitter Years went on sale at the brewery on Wednesday. According to their Facebook page, you can get it during limited hours:
- Thursday 10:00 to 1:30
- Friday 10:00 to 3:30
- Saturday 10:00 to 3:00

You better hurry, too. I heard that they've sold half of it already and don't expect it to last past Saturday.

And I'm not the one who bought five cases on Wednesday.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Got my fix :) Maybe not quite as heavy on the hop flavour/aroma as I remember - but it's still the most drinkable DIPA I've had.

Having those hours of operation after announcing the release of 10BY is a bit cruel though.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Why on earth would someone buy 5 cases? (Unless they were buying for a group of 5+ people)...

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Why on earth would someone buy 5 cases? (Unless they were buying for a group of 5+ people)...
If you're talking 6-packs, I think that's entirely reasonable for one of the best brews in the country (which is rarely available).

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Derek wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Why on earth would someone buy 5 cases? (Unless they were buying for a group of 5+ people)...
If you're talking 6-packs, I think that's entirely reasonable for one of the best brews in the country (which is rarely available).
I assumed he was taking about 5 x 24 bottles.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

because it's rare and it's good and if he/she drinks 1 a day they'll run out on Aug 10. :wink:

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

If it's who I think it is, then this is one of his all time favourite beers. He regularly buys Black Oak stuff by the multiple case.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I'm standing at Mimico station, with the last case of 10BY, as they say in Newfoundland, "There it was, gone"
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

phirleh wrote:I'm standing at Mimico station, with the last case of 10BY, as they say in Newfoundland, "There it was, gone"

Bastard!

BlackOakBrewing wrote: 10 Bitter Years is SOLD OUT! Look for it at great pubs like @barVolo @cestwhattoronto @CastrosLounge
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

icemachine wrote:
phirleh wrote:I'm standing at Mimico station, with the last case of 10BY, as they say in Newfoundland, "There it was, gone"

Bastard!

BlackOakBrewing wrote: 10 Bitter Years is SOLD OUT! Look for it at great pubs like @barVolo @cestwhattoronto @CastrosLounge
i wonder if they should make more??

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I'll be posting some for sale on e-bay later.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Weebay wrote:I'll be posting some for sale on e-bay later.
I'm setting up a tent for next year's release.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I know they were hesitant to call it a DIPA, but it did well in the 2011 CBA's:

Imperial India Pale Ale
Gold: Ten Bitter Years, Black Oak Brewing Co. (ON)
Silver: Red Racer Imperial, Central City Brewing Co. (BC)
Bronze: Hop Head Double IPA, Tree Brewing Co. (BC)

IMHO, I'd say the TBY & Tree have a little more malt balance than some American versions (pleasantly biscuity though, not the awful crystal sweetness). It'd be interesting to try those back-to-back.

The Red Racer is drier like a pliny the younger, but seemed MUCH boozier (at least on cask).

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

If it's any consolation, there are still a few 6's left of the Chocolate Cherry Stout.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

well - I'm glad it got posted, I was going to drive down afterwork!

It's ok - it's delicious on draft...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John