Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

White IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

White IPA

Post by Derek »

Seems to be gaining in popularity.... even from coast to coast in Canada!

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/04 ... white-ipa/

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/05 ... ped-today/

Interesting little write-up:
http://theyakandyeti.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... e-ipa.html

Was the first commercial one actually Deschutes & Boulevard?
http://draftmag.com/beereditor/meet-the-white-ipa/

Is this a subclass of the Belgian IPA or Wit bier? Can it include the hopped-up American Wheats like FFF Gumballhead or Great Lakes Miami Weisse?

Deschutes should have called it a Cascadian Wit. 8)

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I had the Green Flash linchpin on the trip. I think this is probably less a style than a divergent sort of culdesac, but as culdesacs go, it's a good 'un.
saintjohnswort.ca

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It is a strange divergent... from multiple sources.

Personally, "White IPA" makes me think of an American IPA that's brewed with wheat or an American Wheat that's hopped like an IPA.

Throw in the spices and Belgian yeast, and I'd be more inclined to call it an Imperial Wit.

The Black IPA is still controversial... it'll be interesting to see how this plays out!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I've only had a couple of White IPAs, one of which was the Deschutes/Boulevard Conflux #2. It was spectacular. I see that Anchorage Brewing has one out right now. I would love to try theirs.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:it'll be interesting to see how this plays out!
No.

It won't.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

We now have so many brewers covering so much stylistic territory (I'm not complaining :P ) that the only interesting categories for me are starting to be regional/seasonal.

In my last few trips across the continent, I found that I had gone from behaviour like arriving on the west coast and beelining for the first IPA I could get to just walking into a bar and asking "what's new, in season or your recommendation?"

We really have to appreciate how we are spoiled for choice, but it does lead to the conundrum of having to categorize all these choices.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Tapsucker wrote:it does lead to the conundrum of having to categorize all these choices.
No.

It doesn't.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Nothing personal against you guys, I'm not trying to be a troll, and I do see value in classifying beer to an extent, but I am really tired of all the hand wringing over how to categorize these crazy new space age beers.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

markaberrant wrote:Nothing personal against you guys, I'm not trying to be a troll, and I do see value in classifying beer to an extent, but I am really tired of all the hand wringing over how to categorize these crazy new space age beers.
I agree
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

White IPA is as far as I know a wit style using a lot of West Coast hops. That German weizen that used a lot of U.S. hops, that Schneider beer, is an example although not a Belgian white, but it's in the ballpark. Excellent style with a lot of potential.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote:Nothing personal against you guys, I'm not trying to be a troll, and I do see value in classifying beer to an extent, but I am really tired of all the hand wringing over how to categorize these crazy new space age beers.
I think a lot of people are starting to feel that way, but some people get really hung up on categories (or even just the name of the category, such as the Black IPA). I'm sort of on the fence... so yeah, I think the spirited opinions are interesting.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I don''t know much about categories or space aged beers, but I had the White IPA at the Rockbottom last weekend and it just wasn't good beer.

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

I dunno - some of these beers cost a lot of money, and I personally like to know if the beer I'm buying will be something I like or not, and the type and amount of hops used, the malts and the yeasts make all the difference in the world. I don't like wheat beers with banana or cloves. I do like them dry. I ESPECIALLY like them with west coast hops. And it's nice to know, when I'm picking something up if it's a bananas and cloves or a west coast hop bomb. In fact, I wouldn't mind if some brewers put MORE info in their beer names. I'm not crazy about English IPAs, and I don't know how many times I've bought a IPA expecting West Coast hops and instead tastes grass and nuts.

There's a beer for every occasion, and to be able to properly match the beer to the occasion, I need as much information about the beer as possible before I buy it.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

BrausBackinTown wrote:I need as much information about the beer as possible before I buy it.
That sounds really boring.