Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Russia

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Russia

Post by El Pinguino »

Mostly Moscow...

Anyone heard of or know any great beer spots in Moscow? I've been doing some reading and it seems that German brewpubs are popular in Moscow these days.

Have heard of Tinkoff, which has been around some time. But looking for other local Russian beer suggestions.

Thinking I may just find a grocery store and buy whatever I can find that isn't available here. (I've had most Baltika stuff already)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Ron Pattinson had some interesting stuff in his Decoction 'book', but it doesn't look like many still serve classic stuff... it's mostly Bavarian:
http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/moscpubs.htm

Try some Kvass!

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

Never tried it, but there's a local beer style called Kvass: "a low alcohol drink made with fermented rye bread, water, and mint or fruit. Coca-cola now brews a version." The main brand is called Ochakovo, and it tastes like "moderately sweet, grainy soda." Does that sound great or what?! anyway, disgusting or not, worth a try, no?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

You can find Kvass in Toronto:
beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16991/42484/?ba=derek

The stuff from the local bakery is interesting... the canned imports taste more like a cola/soft-drink.

{why is HTML off?}

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks for the Kvass suggestions...
Found a surprising number of beers in Russia, without having to try the Kvass. Mostly pale lagers, but some darker beers.
Pretty much every little town in the Far east/Siberia has their own local brews, which are alright.
Brought back about 5 different ones....deciphering the labels on them is a bit of fun!