Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

GFWCIPA

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

GFWCIPA

Post by dale cannon »

In anticipation of this arriving in the LCBO, I am going to brew the clone recipe from CYBI '09, with some minor tweaks based on ingredient availability.

Targets: 12 Gallons - 1.071 OG - 111 IBU - 9 SRM - 7.2% ABV

Grain Bill:
27.75' 2-row
2'10" Carapils
1'5" C55
1'5" C20
4" Acid malt (mash pH adjust)

Mash Water:
19.6 gal. RO water with 6g CaSO4, 6g CaCl2 & 4g MgSO4
Sparge Water:
10.6 gal. RO water

Mash at 152F for 60 min.

Hop Bill:
2 oz. Simcoe (12.3% AA) @ 90
1/2 oz. ea. of Columbus (13.0% AA) & Simcoe @ 60
1/2 oz. ea. of Columbus & Simcoe @ 30
1 1/2 oz. ea. of Columbus & Simcoe @ 15
2 oz. Cascade (6.2% AA) @ 10
1 oz. ea. of Columbus & Simcoe @ 1
1 oz. ea. of Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus & Simcoe @ DH

Fermentation:
Pitch US-05 at 65F, allow to free rise to 68F, hold until fermentation complete.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

I would suggest the recipe straight from the brewer. It's my favorite IPA.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you ... pa-175363/

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

That's the one i used...and adjusted based on what i had on hand...

I'm probably not going to dry hop at all. I've decided that i don't like dry-hopping. Period.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

dale cannon wrote:That's the one i used...and adjusted based on what i had on hand...

I'm probably not going to dry hop at all. I've decided that i don't like dry-hopping. Period.
You are making a hop forward IPA but don't want dry hopping? That's strange.

To each their own I guess, that's the beauty of homebrewing.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

dale cannon wrote:I'm probably not going to dry hop at all. I've decided that i don't like dry-hopping. Period.
Have you been hanging out with Gordon Strong?

Seriously what don't you like about it?

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

markaberrant wrote:
dale cannon wrote:I'm probably not going to dry hop at all. I've decided that i don't like dry-hopping. Period.
Have you been hanging out with Gordon Strong?

Seriously what don't you like about it?
1. Dry hopping imparts a grassy, resinous hop flavour to beer.

2. I don't appreciate grassy, resinous hop flavour.

3. Therefore I don't like dry hopping.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

But you are using Columbus and Simcoe.. 2 of the most resinous hops out there. Are you sure you want to brew this?

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

elproducto wrote:But you are using Columbus and Simcoe.. 2 of the most resinous hops out there. Are you sure you want to brew this?
Any brewer worth his or her salt knows that the flavours and aromas (yes, including those described as 'resinous') imparted by dry hopping differ markedly vis a vis those imparted by kettle hops.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

dale cannon wrote:
elproducto wrote:But you are using Columbus and Simcoe.. 2 of the most resinous hops out there. Are you sure you want to brew this?
Any brewer worth his or her salt knows that the flavours and aromas (yes, including those described as 'resinous') imparted by dry hopping differ markedly vis a vis those imparted by kettle hops.
Haha, sure bro.

Enjoy your "Non-grassy" beer!

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

elproducto wrote:
dale cannon wrote:
Haha, sure bro.

Enjoy your "Non-grassy" beer!
Do you work for some kind of dry hopping lobby?

Please explain why it bothers you that I (like many others) happen to not enjoy the flavours and aromas peculiar to dry hopping?

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Just doesn't make sense to me to clone a beer which gets much of it's character from dry hopping, and you don't want to do it.

For the record, I've never experienced grassiness in any of my beers to which I dry hop. But that's the beauty of homebrewing you can do what you want.

Judging by the popularity of hoppy beers, I'd say you are in the minority.

As to being worth my salt, I just scored a 43 in a BJCP comp, and best of class for my Berliner Weisse. Does that count?

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

elproducto wrote:As to being worth my salt, I just scored a 43 in a BJCP comp, and best of class for my Berliner Weisse. Does that count?
Depends who you ask. But at any rate, congratulations my central ontario friend.

Hey, GFWCIPA does not attain all of it's 'hoppiness' from dry-hopping. However it is certainly a significant component of it's flavour/aroma profile. I tend to FWH and/or hop burst, which gives me tons of hoppiness, without the flavours I don't particularly enjoy.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

It was my understanding that leaving your beer on the dry hops too long can impart a grassyness, like when you dry hop in your serving keg, however I've dry hopped in the keg and haven't gotten it from my beers. Maybe they just don't last that long.

Congrats on the win for the win elproducto! That's a great score.