Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys/Barenaked Ladies Imperial Chocolate Stout...

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

matt7215 wrote:
ErkLR wrote:750 mL of an 11% beer? :o You may just end up bare naked (and running down the street) if you drink it all yourself.
really?

does the samething happen if you have three 500ml cans of 5.5% beer
Depends how fast you drink them. I have a friend who has a hard time stopping herself from gulping down imperial stouts and quads without realizing.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

If they age some in bourbon barrels will they call it the Barrel Naked Ladies Stout?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Any more info on the release of this?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Any more info on the release of this?
According to FB they're all at the warehouse ready to go...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

yikes!

... 13.95?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

JeffPorter wrote:
Probably sitting beside the Westy 12.. At least it's posted in the inventory now I guess. Can't wait to get my hands o. A few of these.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kafercrazy wrote:yikes!

... 13.95?
You could buy a fur coat
(from a llama - or an emu)
In Beerum Veritas

Andrenaline

Post by Andrenaline »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
Probably sitting beside the Westy 12.. At least it's posted in the inventory now I guess. Can't wait to get my hands o. A few of these.
I'll let a few reviews trickle in on BeerAdvocate before going out of my way to source them out, but really hoping its as good as it sounds.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:yikes!

... 13.95?
You could buy a fur coat
(from a llama - or an emu)
You could buy Belgian's love.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

ErkLR wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
ErkLR wrote:750 mL of an 11% beer? :o You may just end up bare naked (and running down the street) if you drink it all yourself.
really?

Depends how fast you drink them. I have a friend who has a hard time stopping herself from gulping down imperial stouts and quads without realizing.
I have wondered why so many higher ABV brews are sold in larger bottles. I can understand it may help the beer to last longer if you are planning to cellar it but most of the people buying this BNL beer are planning to drink it rather than age it ( I would assume ). I can certainly handle the alcohol in a bottle like this but it is more than I typically consume in one sitting. I usually open a bottle after I put my daughter to bed and this can often be 9pm or later. I won't even think about opening something like this that late during the week.

Besides the size and alcohol content there is also the price tag that comes with larger bottles. I drank many bottles of St Ambroise Imperial Stout last year. $5.95 for a nice beer is OK but $13.95 for something that may not get finished while it is still in good form is hard to pull the trigger on. I will probably try it but since I will wait for an occasion to share it before opening there is a good chance I will only buy one.

Rogue's Double Dead Guy stares at me every time I go in the Crossroads LCBO and it doesn't look like the stack of cases sitting there is getting any smaller so I don't think I am alone in my opinions here.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

toweringpine wrote:
ErkLR wrote:
matt7215 wrote: really?

I have wondered why so many higher ABV brews are sold in larger bottles. I can understand it may help the beer to last longer if you are planning to cellar it but most of the people buying this BNL beer are planning to drink it rather than age it ( I would assume ). I can certainly handle the alcohol in a bottle like this but it is more than I typically consume in one sitting. I usually open a bottle after I put my daughter to bed and this can often be 9pm or later. I won't even think about opening something like this that late during the week.

Besides the size and alcohol content there is also the price tag that comes with larger bottles. I drank many bottles of St Ambroise Imperial Stout last year. $5.95 for a nice beer is OK but $13.95 for something that may not get finished while it is still in good form is hard to pull the trigger on. I will probably try it but since I will wait for an occasion to share it before opening there is a good chance I will only buy one.

Rogue's Double Dead Guy stares at me every time I go in the Crossroads LCBO and it doesn't look like the stack of cases sitting there is getting any smaller so I don't think I am alone in my opinions here.
I find 750 ml or a 9-10 beer increasingly difficult as well - I actually think it was easier before we had the last baby - if I wanted to drink something of that magnitude, I would sometimes start earlier - while making dinner or something...now I find I don't sit down with a beer until the kids go to bed, and often I can only squeeze in one or two "normal" beers.

I think the difference, too, with a 750ml bottle of a big imperial stout vs. 3 pints of 5-6% beer is that you're often changing it up when you drink three beers. I love Hellwoods, but I really need to share the bottles I have, because I find that much of a thick oily stout to be just a little bit overwhelming.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

750 ml is 26 oz., 6 more oz's than a full pint. When most of us head down to our locals I'm sure we usually have more than 1 pint without sharing. I understand that this is a bigger beer in both abv and price, and probably quite rich in flavour, but finishing off a bottle to myself at home during the week while watching a flick, playing a game, or reading won't be an issue, unless the beer itself is no good. Judging by the reviews I've seen this won't be a problem.

Will it be worth the $13+ price tag? That's my only concern.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

JeffPorter wrote: I find 750 ml or a 9-10 beer increasingly difficult as well - I actually think it was easier before we had the last baby - if I wanted to drink something of that magnitude, I would sometimes start earlier - while making dinner or something...now I find I don't sit down with a beer until the kids go to bed, and often I can only squeeze in one or two "normal" beers.

I think the difference, too, with a 750ml bottle of a big imperial stout vs. 3 pints of 5-6% beer is that you're often changing it up when you drink three beers. I love Hellwoods, but I really need to share the bottles I have, because I find that much of a thick oily stout to be just a little bit overwhelming.
I don't even have kids, but I work late and eat late. I don't want to just have one beer and then be comatose 30 minutes after dinner from tired+food+a big beer. So I end up having the 750 mL bottles sitting around a long time. Not to mention the big heavy winter beers (which I love), don't necessarily go well at all with what I'm eating.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ErkLR wrote: Not to mention the big heavy winter beers (which I love), don't necessarily go well at all with what I'm eating.
Another good point - while dessert beers are wonderful, I'm not always in the mood for a pint and a half of it, just as I'm not always in the mood for a full cake.

Which is why I'm looking forward Brooklyn DCCS.

A lot of griping, I know, and it's a pretty "rich" problem to have.

Ultimately this problem is easily solved with a good stopper, which I don't have any more...