Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Switzerland

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Hi Gang,

I spent a few days in Zurich, Switzerland last week, just thought I would post a little info for the curious.

From a beer perspective, I wasn't particularly interested in Switzerland as from whatever I was reading on the 'net, the Swiss weren't particularly interested in beer there (as opposed to chocolate, cheese or army knives...)

Well it was pretty much as I expected. I did try a variety of locally-brewed beers, but they were entirely unmemorable.
The most commonly found beer (in the Zurich area anyway) was http://www.feldschloesschen.com/ - this translates to "Small Castle beside the Field" or something like that... Anyhow, their main product - a lager beer was a pretty typical, bland offering. It was so sad that when I'd go into a bar or restaurant and realize that they had nothing interesting, I'd just order a 'beer', not even worth the effort of trying to communicate with the mostly non-english speaking staff in an attempt to see if they had something more interesting available.

At the airport lounge on the return flight, I had a few 'Swiss Mountain' beers, once again, pretty much the same thing -
http://www.appenzellerbier.ch/eng/detail/detail15.htm

The night before, I popped into the Grocery Store, and found they had Leffe, the Brown, Blonde and one other (can't remember the name now), they were only 2.40 each (Swiss Francs are almost at par with Canadian $). I was amazed at despite how expensize the area was in general ($4 for a coffee!), beer was relatively inexpensive. At the same store as I bought the Leffe, you could get a 6 pack of 500ml cans of some German lager for $4.50!! They also packaged the local swiss bottled beers in plastic 'milk crate' type containers, I guess returnable for a deposit, that was kind of neat...

Anyhow, sorry for the rather drab commentary, but hey, it was a rather drab experience (from a beer lover's perspective anyhow...)

It was great to get home and enjoy pale ales again :smile:

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The plastic milk crate is not unique to Switzerland in that most breweries in Belgium use them for domestic product...cartons are primarily used for export...so much for the LCBO's much daunted environmental position...we even pay an environmental levy as part of the LCBO's price but it's a crock as the money just goes into the kitty.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Can't speak for the German part (best stuff are Zwickelbiers and Castegna from Locher) but in the French part there's BFM and Faiseurs making interesting product (quite experimental actually). Future visits to Switzerland should be preceeded by a visit to http://www.bov.ch and his Swiss Beer Guide. It's the killer Swizterland beer resource you need, compiled by a local expert.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Josh - Thanks for the info - I'm hoping that I will be going back again next year, and I'm planning to bring my wife along and hopefully stay a few more days.

shrike

Post by shrike »

How about Samichlaus beer(spelling?) 14% beer. I haven't seen it in years

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Samichlaus is no longer brewed in Switzerland but rather in Austria.