Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beyond The Pale Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The Mick

Beyond The Pale Brewery

Post by The Mick »

Hey Ottawa Towellers. Beyond The Pale Brewery out of Hintonburg are going to have one of their beers available on cask tonight at Bros Beer Bistro. I don't know which, but I'm hoping the Rye. The brewer might be kicking around and I know a few other local reps from different breweries will be down there sampling the cask too. Pretty late notice, but a nice chance to try a (hopefully) great beer and talk with some brewery reps if you can swing it.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

It is the Rye.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

According to their FB page, they'll have the Rye at BBB tonight, Wellington Gastropub tomorrow and Arrow & Loon Saturday.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Ceecee wrote:According to their FB page, they'll have the Rye at BBB tonight, Wellington Gastropub tomorrow and Arrow & Loon Saturday.
I was at the Loon on Sat. The server was not told by Scotty that the cask had changed and thought they were still serving Broadhead Stoner Amber. She kept disappointing patrons and phone callers. Thankfully, Scotty came in and cleared it up. Rye Guy is a pretty nice beer.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I was able to make it down to brothers on Thursday and thought it was a pretty great beer. Had a chance to meet some of the owners too, who were cool guys. They're having their grand opening this Tuesday. If the rest of the line up is as good as the rye I'm really looking forward to them.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

probstk wrote:I was at the Loon on Sat. The server was not told by Scotty that the cask had changed and thought they were still serving Broadhead Stoner Amber. She kept disappointing patrons and phone callers. Thankfully, Scotty came in and cleared it up. R
The fun never ends at that place.

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

The Mick wrote:I was able to make it down to brothers on Thursday and thought it was a pretty great beer. Had a chance to meet some of the owners too, who were cool guys. They're having their grand opening this Tuesday. If the rest of the line up is as good as the rye I'm really looking forward to them.
Looking forward to stopping into their shop and trying the beers...and ya hopefully the rest of the line-up is tasty.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

I was at the opening party last night. The beers are all very good, the stout was fantastic really intense roast flavor. The IIPA was really nice too, kinda sticky and resiny.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I made it out last night too, probably walked right by each other at some point. The beers were all great. The grapefruit wheat was crisp and sessionable and the stout was great too. The DIPA was my favorite though. Great juiciness from the rye and some good sticky resiny qualities like you mentioned. The said it would be the next up to hit the cask. Can't wait to get a pint of that to compare. A welcome addition to the scene.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

The Mick wrote:I made it out last night too, probably walked right by each other at some point.
For future reference:

Mick has long, curly, red hair and wears an eyepatch.
Codfishhh has a massive hump on his back and mumbles to himself.

I am excited to try Beyond the Pale's lineup. I had planned to go tomorrow and grab a growler of each, but I have to put it off until Friday after work.

Given the fanfare they have managed to drum up, I am hoping the full lineup will still be available.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

probstk wrote:
Ceecee wrote:According to their FB page, they'll have the Rye at BBB tonight, Wellington Gastropub tomorrow and Arrow & Loon Saturday.
I was at the Loon on Sat. The server was not told by Scotty that the cask had changed and thought they were still serving Broadhead Stoner Amber. She kept disappointing patrons and phone callers. Thankfully, Scotty came in and cleared it up. Rye Guy is a pretty nice beer.
WHY do you guys keep going there! Its napoleon syndrome!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Zuma wrote:
The Mick wrote:I made it out last night too, probably walked right by each other at some point.
For future reference:

I am excited to try Beyond the Pale's lineup. I had planned to go tomorrow and grab a growler of each, but I have to put it off until Friday after work.

Given the fanfare they have managed to drum up, I am hoping the full lineup will still be available.
Don't you dare take my growlers. I'll be there after work as well.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Zuma wrote:
For future reference:

By the way, if you're ever at a beer event and you see a really good looking and charismatic guy...

please stop assuming it's me...

I don't get out to that many events. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

on facebook today: 'Ladies and Gentlemen, it brings us great pleasure to announce that we open to the public for the first time today at 10AM. We’ll have both 32oz and 64oz growlers of all 4 of our beers available for sale until 9PM this evening. If you want a look at our lineup you can find it at http://beyondthepale.ca/Beers.html '
Last edited by spinrsx on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In Beerum Veritas