Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cohn: Never mind the LCBO — The Beer Store is an embarrassm

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

cfrancis wrote: There are walkins still in Ottawa. Rideau downtown, Montreal RD and St. Laurent. South Keys on Bank are ones that come to mind.
I like the one at Shoppers East and Orleans on Tenth Line where you pick up your own beer.
The one nearest to me is a walk in (Carling and Maitland) and for the few times I go there I think I would rather have the label wall. I mean for one thing it is tiny, so there isn't really much room to walk around, and the aisles are narrow so it is hard to see the stuff that is on the bottom of shelves. Although the worst part is the fact that the bottle returns are at the front of the store so as soon as you walk in the door (or sometimes before you get to the door) you are hit with the stink of stale beer from those gross black containers they use for empties.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

The plan for future stores is to have completely separate empty and full goods sections. The same building but the front part will be separated so you'd have to go outside to get from one to the other. They also have plans to build empty depots that strictly take returns.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The new one on Laird that I mentioned, while not fully separate entrances, is more or less like this. The self-serve beer area is well separated from the returns area.