Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Has anyone tried using Polaris hops?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Has anyone tried using Polaris hops?

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

If so, how'd you like the end result? A new homebrew place has opened near me, and they have this seemingly beastly hop in stock.

I'd really like to make a single hop, single malt brew with it. Any recipe suggestions or prior experience with it?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

haven't used it, but now i want to just to add another Megadeth-named brew to the list...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

Polaris is a great hop. Tastes closer to an American hop than German. Lots of citrus flavour, with faint floral/earthy notes. Some have mentioned it tasting like mint, I didn't get too much of that. More candy-like though.

Here's my Single Hop Polaris IPA recipe,

5.5 gallon batch (and this was part of a parti-gyle brew day, so only first runnings were used)

12 lbs Weyermann Pale Ale Malt
1.5 lbs Munich I
1 lb Carared

2 oz Polaris @ 90 min.
2 oz @ 10 min.
2.5 oz @ 0
2.5 oz Dry-hop

Safale US05 (didn't leave myself enough time to find some Kolsch yeast to keep it all German!)

Overall it was excellent for flavour/aroma additions. Clean bitterness too. Down to my last few bottles, so it's no longer at it's freshest, but it's still tasting good. Definitely going to be using this hop again.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

teichertbier wrote:Polaris is a great hop. Tastes closer to an American hop than German. Lots of citrus flavour, with faint floral/earthy notes. Some have mentioned it tasting like mint, I didn't get too much of that. More candy-like though.

Here's my Single Hop Polaris IPA recipe,

5.5 gallon batch (and this was part of a parti-gyle brew day, so only first runnings were used)

12 lbs Weyermann Pale Ale Malt
1.5 lbs Munich I
1 lb Carared

2 oz Polaris @ 90 min.
2 oz @ 10 min.
2.5 oz @ 0
2.5 oz Dry-hop

Safale US05 (didn't leave myself enough time to find some Kolsch yeast to keep it all German!)

Overall it was excellent for flavour/aroma additions. Clean bitterness too. Down to my last few bottles, so it's no longer at it's freshest, but it's still tasting good. Definitely going to be using this hop again.
Thanks for the recipe suggestion. I'm going to give it a whirl. Cheers!