Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Your Top 5 Breweries/BrewHouses in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zombi69

Your Top 5 Breweries/BrewHouses in Ontario

Post by zombi69 »

Not sure if there is a thread for this, did a quick search with nothing coming up. With some recent additions to the craft brewing scene in the last couple of years and more to come soon, things are certainly getting interesting. What are your top 5 breweries/brew houses in Ontario? Mine in order are..

1.Bellwoods Brewery (Toronto)-with such great offerings such as Witchshark, Roman Candle, Pedal Head and more. They have quickly proved to be world class!

2.Oast House Brewing (Niagara)-this is a new one opening up in November. I've only just been introduced to their brews, but have really enjoyed their Farmhouse Collection Saison, their Barn Raiser and Belgian IPA!

3.Muskoka (Bracebridge)-Their seasonals are always pretty solid. The additional of Twice As Mad Tom is a bonus!

4.Beau's (Vankleek Hill)-once again like Muskoka, their seasonal a are rock solid!

5. Great Lakes Brewering (Toronto)-The vet in this group and one that has long established itself as a great craft beer maker. Their various creations under their Project X series, to their Black Imperial IPA and much more!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

1) Muskoka - best regularily available widely distributed IPA and only regularily available widely distributed IIPA, over priced but generally solid seasonals that get wide distribution, core lineup is solid and easily found anywhere in the province

2) Great Lakes - cans of crazy canuck, 25th anniversary releases, project x releases

3) Amsterdam - boneshaker and tempest, seasonals and one offs at their retail store, most improved brewery over my time as a craft beer drinker

4) Nickel Brook - naughty neighbor is my fav APA, great veriety at the retial store, kentucky bastard, headstock is getting better

5) King - best lager brewer in the province and i love good lagers

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

1) Amsterdam

1A) Great Lakes - both doing so many great one-offs, too close to call

3) Beau's - everything very solid, would probably rate at the top if I lived in eastern Ontario, very impressive stuff

4) Granite - have really upped their game with interesting one-offs and seasonals in last year or so, plus their core lineup is so solid

5) House Ales - their beers are getting really good, lots of variety, lots of cask offerings, have led the way with collaborations and the whole nano-brewery trend.

Regarding Bellwoods, have had a couple things I loved from them and a couple that kind of missed the mark for me, so while I think they're great overall, I don't put them in my top five. I know most of you will disagree. Overall we are extremely fortunate though, I would say (especially in the GTA). I could easily have ranked Bellwoods, Indie Ale House, Nickelbrook, Sawdust City and Black Oak in an alternative "top five".

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

1-Bellwoods
1-Great Lakes
1-Amsterdam
4-Muskoka
5-House Ales

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

First, House Ales and Granite. Then, Bellwoods, Great Lakes and Six Pints Brewing Academy. Indie Ale House following closely, in fact toss-up between it and Six Pints. Amsterdam could be a toss-up with Six Pints as well.

The others mentioned make some beers I like but the range generally is not as interesting as for those above IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

1) Bellwoods. I have been amazed by the quality and range of their beers. Not every one is a winner, but they have been a remarkable number of excellent beers and the new ones keep coming.

2) Great Lakes. This is all based on the one-offs/Project X beers. It would be nice if they were a little easier to get ahold of. Quality varies moreso than with Bellwoods but there have been a bunch of really good ones.

3) Amsterdam. Making Boneshaker and Tempest effectively part of the regular lineup is fantastic. With the move of the brewey I am not likely to ever snag any of their limited releases anymore, but the Volo event was great.

4) House Ales. Huge range of styles and a real standout every now and then.

5) Muskoka. This is mainly on the strength of Mad Tom and TAMT. For me, a fair gap between 4 and 5.

Interesting in trying more from Oast House. I tried their saison and thought it was quite good.
Ren

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Bellwoods wins hands down because they actually bottle their products in substantial quantities. They don't just release a couple dozen bottles in the middle of a weekday so no one outside of Toronto can get any. Their shop is easily the best beer store in Ontario IMO.

They also made Hellwoods.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

1. Bellwoods. I've only ever had one dud from them. Two of my top 10 beers of 2012 were from them, and that didn't even include Hellwoods, which I didn't try until 2013. No one comes close in Ontario.

2. Great Lakes. They've upped their game dramatically the last couple of years and they are one of the few Ontario brewers that understand how barrel aging can be used to compliment a beer style without overwhelming it.

3. Amsterdam. Branching out. As adventerous as Great Lakes and Beau's. More hits than misses.

4. Beau's. All better than average. Only a few have really knocked my socks off, but Venslab was my number 2 beer of 2012. They do some crazy shizz and I dig that.

5. Beer Academy. All of their ales are too sweet. While King still has the best lager in Ontario, nobody does a wide range of lagers better. I'm out of the closet x2. I love a great lager and Beer Academy does them really, really well.

Runners up: Indie Ale House and House Ales. They might be on the list if only I had the opportunity to try more of their offerings. Next Year?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

boney wrote: 5. Beer Academy. All of their ales are too sweet. While King still has the best lager in Ontario, nobody does a wide range of lagers better. I'm out of the closet x2. I love a great lager and Beer Academy does them really, really well.
i havnt had any of their beer but i look forward to trying it, i love me some good lager

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Hm, tough to answer living in Ottawa and not having access to some of the breweries commonly listed so far. Bellwoods will be easier now of course, and I have some bottles lined up for when the weather warms up. I've never been to Volo, and I honestly was completely unaware of what Amsterdam was doing outside of Boneshaker and Tempest. So, ranking anything would just feel wrong to me.

That said, I've acquired quite a few GLB stuff via trades recent and basically always impressed. The 25th Anny BIPA was my favourite beer of 2012. Muskoka will always be one of my favourites. I mean with TAM now readily available, the constant adjustments and refinings of their seasonals. I like that. And of course Beau's, for always keeping it interesting and fresh (love how I can grab a bottle from the LCBO that was literally brewed the day before). They have their hits and misses, and the introduction of home delivery and Oktoberfest significantly improving each year.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

1) Bellwoods - have Witchshark/Hellwoods/Roman Candle on draught and tell me I'm wrong.

2) Amsterdam - because Iian.

3) Great Lakes - some excellent, and some passable. 24 bottle one time only releases are a hassle though sometimes.

4) Muskoka - only for Mad Tom and Twice as Mad Tom.

5) Granite - one of the few places in the city doing cask properly. Love the food too.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Bellwoods - very easy with the quality of beers, variety of styles with only a rare "dud"

Great Lakes - project X only

Amsterdam - Tempest and one offs

Muskoka - Mad Tom only and for having the only readily avilable dipa, not their seasonals which are over priced and rest of regular lineup doesn't impress me

Oast - very impressed with debut beers, probably will shoot up higher with more opportunities to try other offerings

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

1) Bellwoods - other than the Bootknife, everything I've had from them has been A+. And the aforementioned fact that they actually bottle up most of their offerings. Agreed, best beer store in Ontario, and for me, just happens to be the most accessible, too!

2) Great Lakes - could be #1 if they followed the Bellwoods model. Imagine walking in to their retail store and, instead of flats of Red Leaf, Golden Horseshoe and and anemic warm weather seasonals, the fridges were stocked with 6-8 bottled/growlered Project X offerings at any time of the week? They can even keep Canuck (one of my LCBO staples)!

3) Amsterdam - this wouldn't have even mad the list a year ago. Carried on the broad shoulders of Boneshaker and Tempest, and the fantastic Adventure Brews/one-offs, Ian and co have really impressed in 2012/early 2013. They were the closest brewery to me when they were on Bathurst, and they left just when they started to get interesting, so it goes without saying that I'm immensely excited about the opening of the brewpub at Harbourfront this summer. They could be #1 next year at this time.

4) Muskoka - Loves me some Mad Tom, TAMT, and the (overpriced) seasonals. Get 'em on tap instead. The rest of the core lineup is a bit bland, but the Cream Ale is a good standby.

5) This slot's a toss-up, but I'm gonna go with Beau's. I actually don't mind Lugtread, fresh and on tap it can really hit the spot. Their seasonals and experimentation (not always successful, but almost always intriguing) keep them in the top 5.

Honourable mentions:

Nickel Brook - Headstock's really good, and seems to be getting better. Naughty Neighbour's a very, very good APA. however, I haven't had any of their other "good beers" (i.e. the ones not at the LCBO) to rate them higher.

House Ales - If I could extrapolate from what I've had, they would hands down be in the top 5. But I've only had 2 of their beers, and until I've had more, I don't think it would be fair to rate them higher.

Oast House - same as House Ales - love what I've had, but it's only been 2 beers.

Junction - fantastic lower ABV styles. None of them "knock your socks off amazing", but all very serviceable quaffers. The stout in particular is a fave. Will be getting up there a lot more as the temps rise, days get lighter and biking up to the Junction to fill my bag doesn't seem like such a chore ;)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

1) Bellwoods (just because)
2) Great Lakes
3) Amsterdam (Though 2 and 3 could be switched around depending on the day)
4) Nickel Brook - for stepping up their game
5) I'm going to go with Cameron's, only because RPA is still hands down the best hop fix in the province, IMNSHO. :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bellwoods, Nickel Brook, Muskoka, Black Oak, Amsterdam.
In Beerum Veritas