Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stratford Brewing left Stratford?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Stratford Brewing left Stratford?

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Drove by the brewery today and it's gone. Huge for sale sign on the building. Anyone have any information?

If I was to wager a guess, I'm gonna say they've gone contract at Cool.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

which building had the sign... the original industrial one or the garage/car dealer uptown at Erie and St Patrick where they were planning to move??

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Stratford Brewing, havnt thought about them in a long time

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: If I was to wager a guess, I'm gonna say they've gone contract at Cool.
The Shire had a "fresh" keg of the Pilsner on (bartender's response when I asked if it was the Common or Pils) as of late December/early January, so that'd be my guess as well.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:Stratford Brewing, havnt thought about them in a long time
That's the trouble - any brewer that makes one or two respectable beers, but what do they do that makes you think about them?
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

NRman wrote:which building had the sign... the original industrial one or the garage/car dealer uptown at Erie and St Patrick where they were planning to move??
the one on Erie, which when I was there 4 months ago had an exploded fermentor in the window that had Stratford Brewery labeled on it, which he was using as the sign. The fermentor is now gone.

Also I know The Bent Elbow in Kitchener has the Common on. Since they just opened it's why I'm wagering Stratford's gone the contract route.

Though if he never moved to the new building, like NRman is suggesting...
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

i went looking for this place late last year when I happened to be driving though Stratford. Never found it!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Droogy wrote:i went looking for this place late last year when I happened to be driving though Stratford. Never found it!
even if you found it there wasnt a retail store to visit, i guess you could have looked at the building but thats about it

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

matt7215 wrote:
Droogy wrote:i went looking for this place late last year when I happened to be driving though Stratford. Never found it!
even if you found it there wasnt a retail store to visit, i guess you could have looked at the building but thats about it
Same thing happened to me. If I'd known they didn't have a retail store, I wouldn't have tried. Ended up buying the Pilsner at the LCBO.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
NRman wrote:which building had the sign... the original industrial one or the garage/car dealer uptown at Erie and St Patrick where they were planning to move??
the one on Erie, which when I was there 4 months ago had an exploded fermentor in the window that had Stratford Brewery labeled on it, which he was using as the sign. The fermentor is now gone.

Also I know The Bent Elbow in Kitchener has the Common on. Since they just opened it's why I'm wagering Stratford's gone the contract route.

Though if he never moved to the new building, like NRman is suggesting...
http://goo.gl/maps/LAeU3 to see the fermentor

One of us might have to pick up a phone and call them?!? :wink:
the Common is a good beer, hope its still being made. The Pilsner ...meh.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, I agree. The Common is really quite good, but you almost never see it. As said above, Stratford Brewing has almost no visibility in this area, and it's even farily hard to find in London or Stratford itself. They should bottle the Common instead of the Pils, and try to do something to shine a spotlight on themselves a bit.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Another plus one for their common, but boy - I think we're starting to see how ruthless it can be for a brewery who makes really only one solid beer things (unless you're Double Trouble and get your beer into every Jack Astors). Steam whistle already has a following and they have always marketed well, but I imagine they would get hammered if the company would have started in 2013.

I did enjoy hot summer days having a Stratford Common (and maybe and Denisons Weiss) inside a sweltering Volo, though.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

The last place i had it was at the bent Elbow in Kitchener 3 weeks ago.
AFAIK the Common is still on at Pazzo in Stratford
You could do much worse in Stratford then going there on a friday (before the theatre ramps up) and enjoy $4 pints and half price basic pizzas.
I dont work there... just like good beer and pizza.
http://www.pazzo.ca/pizzeria_lunch.html

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, that is the one place in Stratford that I have had the Common, and I agree, very nice place. I just don't think it is on in very many other places in town, which is a shame.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

I knew the Cloak and Dagger used to carry Common so I asked them via facebook and they replied today

Me:
Will you again/Do you have Stratford Common on tap ?

The Cloak and Dagger Irish Pub:
Both Stratford Common and Stratford Pilsner will be back on tap late March. We can't wait either!