Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Lakefront Bridge Burner

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Lakefront Bridge Burner

Post by midlife crisis »

This may not be news to those of you who shop regularly in the U.S., I don't know, but holy crap is Lakefront Bridge Burner ever good! What would we call this, style mavens? An Imperial Brown perhaps? It has wonderful roasty, semi-sweet dark malts and a delicious sturdy hop backbone. Best new (to me) beer I have had in some time.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

my review:
bomber from the LCBO. pretty nice play between the c hops and malt bill in the nose. the flavour lacks punch. the finish is astringent. meh. not terrible but i dont find it all that appealing. i was really hoping to like this one given the price point for a bomber of 8.5abv ale but it just doesnt do it for me.

id say its an imperial american brown ale, not that thats a real style. it drinks similar to DFH's india brown.

the hopping is too low to call it a black ipa, and its not malty enough to be a proper brown ale.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Wow. Different strokes. To me it was pleasingly semi-sweet (ie not at all astringent). I agree it's not a black IPA, it had more interesting malt flavour than a black, so was better. IMO.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

American Strong Ale is the classification on untappd to my recollection. it is very nice

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Can't make a decision on this one...

The aroma might be the best part of this beer. There's a mild juicy hoppiness, and a bit of chocolate and dark fruit from the malts.

But I'm not sure the taste lives up to the aroma.

It could be a little "bigger" (in hops, in malts, in mouthfeel, etc) but I think the selling point for this I think is the balance.

The hoppiness of it seems to me to be more than 30 IBUs, and the maltiness isn't crazy either.

Mind you I'm having trouble figuring out if it's that the ingredients are working in harmony so that nothing is competing, or if the flavours are a little muddled.

I get the astringency in the finish that Matt was talking about. The only way to cure it is to drink more.

I think I want this beer to either be a little more hoppy or a little more malty. I don't care which one, I just want a little more of something. Hard not to compare it to something like Apocalypse Later.

Good, but...I don't know, maybe there's something I'm missing here.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I'm really liking this one, but I tend to like messy beers (DDC CDD comes to mind - not style but it's kinda messy too). Beautiful citrus nose but on the palette it's only on the front end, followed by semi-sweet high alcohol malt with a touch of bitterness. Overall I gotta buy more!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The flavour while solid is a little restrained for the weight and style (ASA) but the aroma is very robust and unique. It smells almost identical to a Spanish Grenache that I reviewed on here a few months ago, with juicy cherry, red plum, and raspberry coming to mind. Didn't get any citrus on the nose, though the hop flavour and bitterness have a vaguely citric quality. Not a world beater by any stretch but it's interesting and cheap enough for me to buy more.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

had this last night, very enjoyable.. like a beefed up version of the great lakes 666 DPA. for 5$ a bomber, I'll be buying more

anyone think this would age well? become something like a barleywine once the hops fade?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

spinrsx wrote:had this last night, very enjoyable.. like a beefed up version of the great lakes 666 DPA. for 5$ a bomber, I'll be buying more

anyone think this would age well? become something like a barleywine once the hops fade?
I dont think this has enough of a malt body to age well

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

30 IBU? Really? This was really bitter. So much more bitter than I would have imagined.

Not saying I didn't like it. I did like it. Just that it's more bitter than I would have thought.

I don't think I would want this aged, I like that bitterness.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I really enjoy this one. Puts me in mind of one of the Fuller's strong beer range with just a bit of brashness.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool