Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto's Beer Mayor

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Did anyone else notice that George Kash of drinking beer upside down fame is running for Mayor? Had to chuckle at that one.

As a 905er I don't get to vote, but I'm partial to Miller (not to get started in a firestorm of politics!)

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I think that George Kash running for mayor is a breath of fresh air! Finally the electorate can vote for somebody that they know is nuts (embarassing and annoying too!) Usually, it takes a week or tow in office before we figure out the crazy part!
Oh, yeah I forgot there was one other instance of this...Ernst Zundel tried (very unsuccessfully) to run for the leadership of the Federal Liberal party in 1968. Politics, got love 'em, it makes the world of beer look so much saner.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Who is Ernst Zundel? (forgive my ignorance)

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Ernst Zundel is Canada's foremost Nazi appologist. He also denies that the holocaust actually happened. He has been lurking in the Canadian political landscape for about 30 years and is now being threatened with deportation for hate crimes.
Now, back to beer...

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

He is not really an apologist, I believe he's somewhat more extreme than that. Didn't he indicate that the holocaust was invented as a sort of marketing ploy by Jews to further their own diabolical agenda?

I had not heard about him being threatened with deportation though. Are they sending him to Germany? Is he even currently a national of there? I cannot see them being very happy to take him and it is hard to revoke citizenship - which I assume he had the sense to pick up somewhere along the way.

And going back to more beer-like conversation, I don't suppose that there are any mayoral candidates who are offering to do anything useful for the beer industry whether it be brewing, importing or retail deregulating is there? So far I have heard nothing (beyond some lunacy regarding loans for beer fridges, which does not count).

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I used to work with his wife, a lovely French-Canadian lady who divorced him when he started going nuts. Despite having lived in Canada for 30 years, He is not a Canadian citizen which is why the government is trying to deport him. He was living in the U.S. for a while but he hightailed it back to Canada when it looked like the authorities were going to go after him there.

borderline_alcoholic

Ah, interesting. It is always a good idea to acquire citizenship if you are in a place for long enough and wish to maintain the option to remain, especially if you are going to start making a nuisance of yourself.

So where would they deport him to? Is he currently a national of the European Union?

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I believe he holds German citizenship.

bulba

Post by bulba »

I'd send him to Tel Aviv...

borderline_alcoholic

Ooh, international politics... :wink:

Yes, he should feel quite at home there. He can help the Likud explain that the Palestinians are inventing their plight as part of their own evil masterplan...

Perhaps some kind of exchange system could be implemented. We send Zundel to Tel Aviv, for which the ICC gets one of the alleged human rights and/or war criminals that they are interested in pursuing from within Israel.

AFAICS, this would be entirely a win-win scenario.

...I will not be holding my breath. :-/

borderline_alcoholic

Can open. Worms everywhere.