Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fresh Founders Centennial at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Founders has confirmed they have withdrawn from Ontario.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

sigh
Cass wrote:Founders has confirmed they have withdrawn from Ontario.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Were they an NAC account?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

No, they were (at least when they launched here) repped by the Bruce Ashley Group.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

This is disappointing. Oh well, at least I live adjacent to Michigan.

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

Is it warehouse issues that caused this? That's what I read somewhere else

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

Thanks Cass for the update although it will be sadly missed at least Red Racer is still here! For how long though is anyone's guess!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Couldn't care about the others. This was my go to everyday IPA. Almost a perfect beer for me.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

$hitty news! Gotta be some behind the scenes politics. They had to have been very happy with how well the beer has sold through here.

I don't buy the whole "we need it for domestic customers" BS if that's their position.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

worst news... very disappointed.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

IPA_Lover wrote:$hitty news! Gotta be some behind the scenes politics. They had to have been very happy with how well the beer has sold through here.

I don't buy the whole "we need it for domestic customers" BS if that's their position.
I can buy it. I mean looking at their website they only distribute to around 33 of the US states. Why spend the time and effort to export your beer to another country, dealing with border issues, language issues and the metric system, when you could just expand into California and/or Washington State and not have to deal with any of those issues.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Selling in Ontario means conforming to the standards here (packaging rules, payment terms, paperwork, etc.). It could certainly be a political thing, but the effort required to sell here is simply not worth it for many breweries.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Thing is though, they already figured out most of those issues. Surely once you've done it once (or for like, 2 years or whatever) it's easier after that? You already have the proper labels designed and the shipping figured out, etc.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

And the LCBO and their antiquated regulations chase out another great American brewer out of the province. Too bad, as the Founders feature was fantastic and everything seemed to move fast, especially the Backwoods Bastard.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

squeaky wrote:Thing is though, they already figured out most of those issues. Surely once you've done it once (or for like, 2 years or whatever) it's easier after that? You already have the proper labels designed and the shipping figured out, etc.
You're right, but the LCBO has a way of throwing curveballs at you. Even with those things figured out there are some well-publicized policies that don't change - LCBO shippers only (can't arrange shipping yourself), long payment terms (many US brewers are used to C.O.D.), un-refrigerated storage & conditions, having to guarantee sales or the brewery is on the hook for leftovers - the list goes on. At a certain point these just add up to too much of a hassle, when as pointed out earlier they can move volume to another state by having a truck come to your back door and hand over a cheque (obviously oversimplifying things but you know what I mean).