Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Former Growler's Premises

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

The paper has been up on the windows for more than a month while the renovators have been doing their work. However I walked past last night, and saw my first indication of the new establishment.

It will be called "The Strand Brasserie", and it will be run by our friends from Amsterdam Brewing.

Also saw that the brewing equipment had been turned on and cleaned up.

I'd like to say something smart-alecy.

-Uncle Bobby

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I was told their King St facility has reached the end of its useful life and the old Denison's plant is replacing it as the showpiece brewpub for the company.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

is the implication that they will close the King St. Location then?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The Amsterdam King Street location has always been a terrible/unique production facility except for the gravity help from fermentation down to packaging. The old Denisons facility is less but could be a great spot for a focused head office/brewpub(cost?) given some effort. I guess the question is; where will the production brewery be located?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2003-10-27 14:21, Rob Creighton wrote:
I guess the question is; where will the production brewery be located?
KLB brewery in Peterborough, perhaps?

Publican

Post by Publican »

I'm disappointed to find out that Amsterdam is moving into the Denison's premises. IMHO Amstedam beers have been thin bodied and not very intresting. I would have much prefered a brewpub selling English style ales. I hope that Michael Hancock got fair market value for his brewing equipment. I'll most likely check this place out for it's food.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

On 2003-10-27 20:26, Publican wrote:
I would have much prefered a brewpub selling English style ales.
But you would prefer that to almost anything. :wink:

However, I echo your comments regarding reimbursement for Michael Hancock's equipment and also the general quality or lack thereof of Amsterdam Brewing Co. beers...

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

We got about 3(three) cents on the dollar for the brewery, all the restaurant furniture and two kitchens full of equipment. Just enough to pay our GST owing. Incidentally, we were current on our GST at time of closure, not overdue. That's the way it goes in the hospitality business. The deal was made with the new owner of the building and restaurant, not Amsterdam.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the.brewer on 2003-10-28 00:53 ]</font>