Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Navigating the bar's beer list: Solutions?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Navigating the bar's beer list: Solutions?

Post by zane9 »

Here's an article on how some US bars are dealing with the problem of clearly and easily presenting a lot of choices to patrons.

Menus, digi-boards, chalkboards are evolving.

Do we have taplist turmoil? Is your favourite establishment making efforts to help its patrons? Do you have examples of the best and the worst?

http://tablematters.com/2013/07/19/tap-list-turmoil/

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Brewery, beer name, style, ABV, price, size. Don't really care how that is conveyed via menu, chalkboard, etc. though once digital is cheap that'll be preferred. Have the beers listed together simply so it's easy to look at all of them. Do more wordy descriptions at the back if desired. The menu at Biermarkt fails in this regard. I don't want to flip around the book trying to find a beer to order.

I've been wondering for some time when restaurants and bars would use digital menus to have always up to date menu items. Tying that to their website would be even cooler. The fast food places are finally putting up digital menu boards. I suppose when digital paper is more viable and super cheap (no stealing incentive!) that paper menus will go away. So much easier to do an update and BAM! all menus are wirelessly updated.
lister

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Milo's craft beer emporium in London.

Digital. Real time updates. All pertinent information. Clearly presented.

Best I've experienced.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

What Dale said!

Also I think Fionn MacCools printed menu is really great, even if most of the beer on it is not.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Ideally I can see all the tapheads and talk to a knowledgeable bartender or server.

Failing that, keep it simple and clear.

I get the feeling some places try to make things too fancy just to make you think they have more or better choice than they actually have. It's never a good idea to start a business relationship, no matter how small, with B.S.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nahh, I like the Rhino Bar way. Don't tell us a bollocking thing or post on a tap list board. Ignore customers efficiently as possible. You want a Creemore or what, I'm busy here! :lol:

Seriously, digital with live updates makes so much sense, since it's probably as about as easy as operating an iPod. I'm guessing you mean web phones. I predict that wireless display technologies will continue to get cheaper for bars to replace paper menus with.

And please, PLEASE bars don't get all poncey inventing your own categories 'spicy' 'refreshing' 'contemplative'... - one beerbistro is enough! It just makes things harder to find.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I dunno - seems like a solution to a non-existent problem.

I've never experienced digital, but it seems a little overkill. The way that bar hop and Volo do it work well, but digital might be easier for staff to update. They can spend more time serving and less time erasing and writing.

Even at The Rhino, it's really not that big of a deal. They're out of something...they tell you, you order something else.

I know that's not everyone's experience, and I know that I'm the unapologetic Rhino defender, but usually it takes me about 10 more seconds to order something if they're list isn't up to date.

But if digital doesn't raise the cost of the beer, sure why not...just don't do it to show us how tech savy you are...and then raise the cost of the beer to make up for your impulse purchase... :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

The Beer Revolutions in Calgary and Edmonton have digital real time boards throughout the pubs, and are linked to their website. It really is better out west.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

JeffPorter wrote: I've never experienced digital, but it seems a little overkill.
There are plenty of bars/pubs where the layout makes it impossible to see the taps or behind the bar from your table, having a few digital displays is so much more convenient for the customers. As well it's easier to update and less wasteful than daily-printed menus. I've been at Milos' several times when they've had a couple keg changes in a single night. As others have said, I think Milos does it right: a large display behind the bar and a MASSIVE screen in the seating area which is legible from everywhere else.

For a smaller bar, I would imagine it doesn't really matter as much.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

http://kickoffs.ca/
Built by a Kickoff customer i believe and designed for a smartphone (Kickoff is next to UW so it's smart phone or nothing) AFAIK the update method is still being worked on with an app for the bartender. Keg changes at Kickoff are also posted to FB which works for me. Imbibe and The Bent Elbow tweet changes. Alternately i see what my friends are drinking on utappd

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

markaberrant wrote:The Beer Revolutions in Calgary and Edmonton have digital real time boards throughout the pubs, and are linked to their website. It really is better out west.
Milo's is also directly updated to the website. He even had QR codes on his windows that when scanned tell you the tap list. So with that and Kickoff, seems like we've got two each. ;)
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I like the crayon/dry erase marker handwritten ones at Arrow and Loon myself. /sarcasm

I don't know why it has to be that complicated and while digital boards don't offend me in any way, I do like to have a list in my hands at my table. Fine if it's on my phone, but meh, paper works too.

The better places I've been to like Church Key in DC and Farmhouse in Vermont have it pretty simple (Farmhouse is a bit more elaborate I think). List what you have on paper, update frequently, life is good.

I think Farmhouse is even now starting to print what the next keg coming up for a given tap is after the current one empties. Not a big deal in the big picture, but kinda neat.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I was just at the Farmhouse and on their menu they have a "on deck" listed next to a beer for when the keg blows.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

First time I saw digital was at Blue Palm in Hollywood. It has live updates and the list projected on two walls.

http://www.bluepalmsbrewhouse.com/pages/beer.html

I believe there is somewhere out west in Canada (maybe Edmonton) that tells you how much is left in the keg too.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

http://staugustinesvancouver.com/

I think it's presented in a similar fashion inside as well.