Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Fall Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Not that I'm not excited about the porters and stouts, but I'm wondering what the "focus" of the winter release is going to be? Big Belgians?

(Rye porter is nice, btw, but pretty intense in flavour - you can almost see the rye when you pour it.)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

what do we know about the winter release so far? Rochefort 10, Achel Bruin, Goose Island BCBS.. is Deus part of this release too?
JeffPorter wrote:Not that I'm not excited about the porters and stouts, but I'm wondering what the "focus" of the winter release is going to be? Big Belgians?

(Rye porter is nice, btw, but pretty intense in flavour - you can almost see the rye when you pour it.)

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

atomeyes wrote:when's the Deschutes being rolled out? grrrr
Asked about it and they said it hasnt been received yet, still has to go for testing. Said perhaps November, which could mean next week or not.....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Got the three Danish ones on Danforth today. Nothing rotten! ;)

Actually I mean
Amager Rye Porter & Midtfyns X-Porter from Denmark, and 8 Wired iStout from NEW ZEALAND.

Xbeeriment Black Force 1 Imperial Stout still not here.
In Beerum Veritas

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Belgian wrote:Got the three Danish ones on Danforth today. Nothing rotten! ;)

Actually I mean
Amager Rye Porter & Midtfyns X-Porter from Denmark, and 8 Wired iStout from NEW ZEALAND.

Xbeeriment Black Force 1 Imperial Stout still not here.
Picked up the same three at Weston Rd. / 401.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

Belgian wrote:Got the three Danish ones on Danforth today
Which Danforth store, Belgian? Showing no stock online - should I presume Broadview?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MaltyTasker wrote:
Belgian wrote:Got the xx Danish ones on Danforth today
Which Danforth store, Belgian? Showing no stock online - should I presume Broadview?
Near Broadview but they rudely moved it closer to Chester. That's a new store that doesn't suck.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JeffPorter wrote:
Also, my only gripe is quite a bit of sediment at the bottom, so pour carefully.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: (Rye porter is nice, btw, but pretty intense in flavour - you can almost see the rye when you pour it.)
Also, my only gripe is quite a bit of sediment at the bottom, so pour carefully.
What could possibly be wrong with the sediment, what I presume are just suspended solids from the substantial grain content? These can fall out of suspension over time creating 'stout muck' in the base of the bottle.

I always check upside-down near a bright light whether I need to swirl in the sediment. Great texture.
* - edit - *
OK there was some swirling, and it's all good - aromatic and explosive tasting beer with big mouthfeel and dark-bready grains & dry, dry bitter hops. Wine-like intensity and length of flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I tried the three that were out over the weekend. Midtfyns was my favourite.

Funnel Blower shows stock now, but so far only at King & Spadina.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

would any of these 3 beers be a good candidate for cellaring?

330381 / Amager Rye Porter / 500 / $6.25 / AMAGER BRYGHUS / DENMARK
331421 / Midtfyns X-Porter / 500 / $5.95 / MIDTFYNS BRYGHUS A/S / DENMARK
328039 / 8 Wired iStout / 500 / $7.20 / 8 WIRED BREWING LIMITED / NEW ZEALAND

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

After trying both the 8-wired and the x-porter, I would say both could do with a bit of time in the cellar.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

Does anybody have any insight on when Deschutes or the Founders selection might hit shelves?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MaltyTasker wrote:Does anybody have any insight on when Deschutes or the Founders selection might hit shelves?
Deschutes will be any day

Founders in Nov

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

matt7215 wrote:
MaltyTasker wrote:Does anybody have any insight on when Deschutes or the Founders selection might hit shelves?
Deschutes will be any day
You must have better insider info than me, was told last Sat. that it wasnt even in the warehouse yet so was more like weeks than days.