Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mikkeller quality

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickelass
Bar Fly

Mikkeller quality

Post by nickelass »

Anyone have any quality issues with Mikkeller lately? I had a bottle of It's Alive, and Funk E* both go completely flat even with a best before date of 2014. They both had rubber corks and came from the same order.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I stopped buying Mikkeller years ago, too many drainpours.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

I've had about as many bad experiences as good when it comes to Mikkeller. When they're on, they're great. But like yourself (and the previous poster) I've been disappointed a lot, especially when it comes to aging. On that note, I've noticed Mikkeller will stamp ridiculous best before dates on some of their products. I reviewed one of their IPAs that was supposedly going to be "good" for something like 5 or 10 years. I mean, common! :roll:

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I've only had one quality issue with Mikkeller - a flat bottle.

My bigger issue with them is the price point. I can't justify their prices.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I've only had one quality issue with Mikkeller - a flat bottle.

My bigger issue with them is the price point. I can't justify their prices.
It gets to be an expensive game of roulette.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I don't think I'll buy anything other than their stouts to age at this point. So far I've had fantastic luck with the beer geeks, black, and black holes.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hmm. I will stick up for their Jackie Brown which when well past projected 'best before' date tasted utterly amazing (Thank U Rhino Bar.)

I still have a few Mikkeller Frelser Triple Bock, which I look forward to enjoying. Weaker stuff like Canadian Dream I would not stock up on though I love Mikkel's use of aroma hops.
In Beerum Veritas