Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

NickelBrook Kentucky Bastard

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

NickelBrook Kentucky Bastard

Post by admviolin »

From the new batch of bottles.

I've had this on tap before as well as the Bolshevik and Winey Bastard versions and really liked them.

There is something kind of thin about this, and I don't know if it just needs a few months more aging (or even a year)

The bourbon flavors are there, but not as warm as other BBA beers.

It's not bad, but compared to other BBARIS (haha) it feels a bit flat and not worth the $12.95.

Sad, I really like Nickelbrook's other limited releases.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Could it be the barrel's are getting old?

I've never really thought of Bolshevik Bastard as thin - In fact, I always thought the only thing darker in Ontario was Hellwoods.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I might change my tune by the end of the bottle.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

The bourbon notes are much less pronounced but I think ones impression of this year's depends on taste preference.

I thought it came off as nicely balanced and ready to drink.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Yes, I think it might be a personal taste. If I compare it to my favorite RIS like Wellington, it lacks something. By the end of the bottle I liked it more, it is a well balanced beer, but it just isn't big enough for my taste.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I had my bottle from last year recently and it was fantastic. Now I am curious to grab one of the new ones to compare.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:Could it be the barrel's are getting old?
What do you mean by that Jeff?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

I too wasn't impressed, especially after release of BA Tempest and it being a very bourbon forward KB seemed as you mentioned this and imo flavours all muted. I normally don't have any issue working my way through a 650, or in this case a 750ml BBARIS but this time I actually wanted to cork it and reach for another beer, which I did.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Maybe not old, but second or third time around. Someone else mentioned this on untappd and I thought it might be likely as I know Bellwoods has done this in the past. Most recently with 3 Minutes To Midnight.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Maybe not old, but second or third time around. Someone else mentioned this on untappd and I thought it might be likely as I know Bellwoods has done this in the past. Most recently with 3 Minutes To Midnight.
Do we know this to be a fact with Kentucky Bastard?

I know it is definitely something that is being done a lot more recently: for example 3 Minutes to Midnight is the second-use cognac barrels used from BOYD and I believe Goose Island used second-use BCBS barrels from their new Bourbon County Barleywine.

I have had very limited experience with second-use barrel beers (at least that I am aware of) but I have noticed a fairly big difference in the barrel qualities coming through in second-use barrel aged beers, as one would expect I suppose.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

TheBeeraholic wrote:I too wasn't impressed, especially after release of BA Tempest and it being a very bourbon forward KB seemed as you mentioned this and imo flavours all muted. I normally don't have any issue working my way through a 650, or in this case a 750ml BBARIS but this time I actually wanted to cork it and reach for another beer, which I did.
Exactly how I felt (mind you, it was a 2012 last week).

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:What do you mean by that Jeff?
Do we know this to be a fact with Kentucky Bastard?

I know it is definitely something that is being done a lot more recently: for example 3 Minutes to Midnight is the second-use cognac barrels used from BOYD and I believe Goose Island used second-use BCBS barrels from their new Bourbon County Barleywine.

I have had very limited experience with second-use barrel beers (at least that I am aware of) but I have noticed a fairly big difference in the barrel qualities coming through in second-use barrel aged beers, as one would expect I suppose.
That's what I was wondering. My understanding is that if you use them more than once or a couple times, the original spirit used fades in the flavour...mind you, I never thought Kentucky Bastard was that much of a Bourbon Bomb from last year either...Especially when compared to things like GLB's bourbon barrel stouts in the past year.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I thought it was very good! Light-bodied yes but that is fine if the flavour balance is right. I like the fact that the barrel only exhibits a modest (apparent) influence on the beer, it tastes fresher as a result yet still shows a slight effect from the wood gums and maybe the bourbon.

The malt and hops work in tandem but with a lighter touch than in many strong porters/stouts.

Classy stuff, very much like a port for after-dinner sipping with cheese or nuts. Not every port has to be a huge sweet vintage; not every porter has to be, either.

Gary
Gary Gillman

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

I could buy 2 bottles of BCBS at the same cost as this.

No thanks.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I am trying mine now and I think it is excellent. It's a bit pricey to be sure, and I only bought one bottle for that reason. I'm getting a really beautiful, earthy, Port wine effect - I realize this is the bourbon barrel version, but like others above I'm not really getting much bourbon. Lots of vanilla, but definitely a fine-wine aspect too. Not the heaviest Impy in the world (as others have pointed out) but ready to drink and just lovely, IMO.