Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Duke's Refresher - Yonge & Gerrard

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Duke's Refresher - Yonge & Gerrard

Post by Cass »

Didn't notice any posts about this place - anyone been? Kinda looks 'chain-y' but some decent craft on tap...

http://dukesrefresher.ca
MILL STREET ORGANIC
MUSKOKA CREAM ALE
CREEMORE
STEAM WHISTLE
MILL STREET TANKHOUSE
DOUBLE TROUBLE HOPS & ROBBERS
UNIBROUE BLANCHE DE CHAMBLY
DENISON’S WEISSBIER
KENSINGTON SANTA’S STACHE
MUSKOKA WINTER WEISS
SILVERSMITH
BEAU’S LUG TREAD (ORGANIC)
LAKE OF BAYS SPARK HOUSE
BEAU’S THE TOM GREEN BEER
F&M OATMEAL COFFEE STOUT
HIGHLANDER BREW CO. SCOTTISH ALE
LEFTFIELD EEPHUS
SPEARHEAD MOROCCAN
DOUBLE TROUBLE PRISON BREAK
SAWDUST CITY OL’ WOODY ALT
AMSTERDAM BONESHAKER
NICKEL BROOK HEADSTOCK
GREAT LAKES ETOBICHOKER

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Going on Wednesday and will report back.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Duke's is owned by SIR Corp, the company that also owns The Loose Moose, Jack Astor's, Reds, and a bunch of other restaurants, both chains and stand-alones:

http://www.sircorp.com/

They've been making moves toward better beer in many of their properties. The Moose is the obvious one, but I was also impressed by the decent selection at the Yonge & Gerrard location of Reds (in the same strip as Duke's) when I was there for dinner last week. And even Jack Astor's had a craft beer promo running for a few weeks in Dec and Jan, with all of their Canadian locations featuring a few local beers that they don't usually carry.

Keeps getting better and better out there...

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

GregClow wrote: They've been making moves toward better beer in many of their properties. The Moose is the obvious one, but I was also impressed by the decent selection at the Yonge & Gerrard location of Reds (in the same strip as Duke's) when I was there for dinner last week. And even Jack Astor's had a craft beer promo running for a few weeks in Dec and Jan, with all of their Canadian locations featuring a few local beers that they don't usually carry.
Even the downtown Red's location has some decent beer choices. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find GLB's Pompous Ass on tap.
Ren

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was in here recently and thought it was pretty good. I mean, it's never going to knock Volo or Bar Hop off the list of all-time greats, but it is open and airy, has a nice bank of big screen Tvs for sporting events, and a dozen or so craft beers including some you perhaps might not expect, like Pompous Ass, Sawdust City Alt, Beaus Milk Stout, etc. EDIT: I now see Cass posted the list at the top of the thread. With perhaps a couple of exceptions it is still as above.

The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Definitely the best thing in the immediate vicinity (though as mentioned above its sister establishment Reds is just two doors away).