Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Woodhouse Brewing Company Coming Soon to Toronto

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's an amber lager, so uh...I got nothing.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Good news! Toronto has been lacking in the department of having a brewery that brews only one beer and is a lager...oh, wait...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

My first thought when I saw the graphic on the can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzBpJ1XYwc

:lol:
lister

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Taking a page out of the Ontario Brewing Company 100 Mile Lager/Ale book, I see.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

liamt07 wrote:Taking a page out of the Ontario Brewing Company 100 Mile Lager/Ale book, I see.
It's not enough to make me drink the beer, but I do view that as a positive. Getting a stronger local hop industry can only mean good things for local brewers.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Wow, really? An all malt lager! Like, all of it will be malt?! No twigs even? Bold.

This is what the can brought to mind for me... and perhaps the mindset of a person brewing yet another "all malt" lager.

I [brew] a l[ager], yes. Is it funny to you? It is not to me. Behind all things there are reasons. Reasons can even explain the absurd. Do we have the time to learn the reasons behind human beings varied behavior? I think not. Some take the time. Are they called detectives? Watch, and see what life teaches.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

It's a 5% amber lager, meaning it pours a sort of rusty brown - as opposed to your standard pale yellow lager - owing to the use of imported crystal malt. It's a simple, crisp, and easy-to-drink lager that is single-hopped with Hallertaur Hersbrucker hops and tends a bit to the sweeter side. It's got a great aroma - really sweet, verging almost on fruity - and there's some underlying caramel on the nose from all the malt, too.

While that might seem like this beer has a lot going on, it's really all quite subtle, making this an extremely inoffensive beer with little to no aftertaste that seems well suited to Woodhouse's intended patio-dwelling demographic.
"While that might seem like this beer has a lot going on..."

THAT'S IT GUYS, I QUIT

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I think these guys are just trolling Liam now with all these pale lager offerings.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

* shakes head *
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Yeah. I was willing to give 100 Mile the benefit of the doubt because of the locally grown concept and the fact they were taking advantage of that market.

This is just stupid. This is a man who has seen an overcrowded market and said to himself "me too".
saintjohnswort.ca

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

saints_gambit wrote:Yeah. I was willing to give 100 Mile the benefit of the doubt because of the locally grown concept and the fact they were taking advantage of that market.

This is just stupid. This is a man who has seen an overcrowded market and said to himself "me too".
...or it could be a guy who has had a dream to open a brewery and likes to drink lager. It might be awful, it might be great, but it's someone's baby, so its probably best to at least try or speak to someone who has before dismissing it.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Bobsy wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:Yeah. I was willing to give 100 Mile the benefit of the doubt because of the locally grown concept and the fact they were taking advantage of that market.

...or it could be a guy who has had a dream to open a brewery and likes to drink lager. It might be awful, it might be great, but it's someone's baby, so its probably best to at least try or speak to someone who has before dismissing it.
Is it going to be better than all the other amber lagers? Because that's the only way this is a good idea. I'm all for making that category better, but it's sounding a heck of a lot like Sam Adams Boston Lager. Same hops. Same Crystal malt.
saintjohnswort.ca

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Bobsy wrote:

Yeah, but if we want to stick with the analogy of "babies," this is like being the 12th child born into a family with 12 children. There are already enough of you, and you're not going to get the attention you might if you were born into a nuclear family. Not to mention you're probably not offering something than the 11 that came before you already offer in some capacity.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Bobsy wrote:

...or it could be something other than one of two extreme ends of the spectrum. He could be ignorant of the market and think this is a great idea, it might be "someone's baby", or it could be something completely different. Its not as though we aren't justified in fielding criticism of the venture based on what the owner conveys to the masses. What stands out to me is the choice of words in that marketing description. If one feels it necessary to market a product as "inoffensive" in order to sell it I think there's a serious problem at hand. It strikes me as patronizing and I think it serves to marginalize the customer base, reducing them to people who may only consume beverages with a minimum of flavour and thought put into their design.