Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Refined Fool Brewing Company (Sarnia)

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Refined Fool Brewing Company (Sarnia)

Post by liamt07 »

Had a person mention these guys to me this weekend past. Website ( http://www.refinedfool.com/) highlights (what sounds like) some interesting beers.

Anyone heard of these guys/tried their beer?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Weird. I typed what I intended to, posted it and it didn't show up. Then I went to quote myself on it (to rewrite it) and it had it displayed the original message.

Regardless!

Yeah, what Marcus posted. A guy mentioned it to me this weekend, and their lineup looks pretty decent. Has anyone tried their stuff?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

2 hec system

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Had a great time with this guys this past weekend. Everything was good to great, with the coffee/breakfast stout being exceptional. Highly recommended!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Had a great time with this guys this past weekend. Everything was good to great, with the coffee/breakfast stout being exceptional. Highly recommended!
Good to hear!

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

atomeyes wrote:2 hec system
Nice. Hope I can give these guys a go when I'm out by Sarnia late July.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

That's great, but what'll we drink tomorrow?
saintjohnswort.ca

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I am living in Sarnia at the moment and was there on opening day; it's pretty rare to see that many people packed into such a small space in this town. I've been back to the brewery a few times, and their main problem right now seems to be keeping up with demand. It's great to see them succeeding, as my friends and I have been saying for years that this town needed and could support a brewery. If Port Huron can do it then there's no reason Sarnia can't; their water is as filthy as ours. :P

Their beer portfolio is quite solid for a start-up operation, and priced very well too. The breakfast stout is definitely their best IMO, but it's a limited-time seasonal (and not being bottled, at least yet, so you'll need to get a growler if you want to take any home).

The milk stout isn't bad either, kind of reminding me of the Tom Green Beer. The vanilla porter is worth a try, too.

The IPA/DIPA are decent, but despite the IBUs printed on the label neither one is particularly hoppy/bitter for the respective style. I enjoyed the Centennial-hopped pale wheat ale seasonal they have out right now as well; very simple but still a good thirst-quencher.

The only beers that I am not a big fan of are Noble Oaf (rye saison) and the Brouhaha (nut brown). The nut brown is drinkable enough but otherwise forgettable, and the rye saison reminded me of a mediocre homebrew. But if you're passing through Sarnia on an evening when they're open, it's definitely worth stopping in, trying some beers and having a chat with the staff. Their beers seem to have been improving since the first batches on opening day, which is why I haven't bothered rating/reviewing any of them just yet.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

saints_gambit wrote:
That's great, but what'll we drink tomorrow?
"I'm worried. After these three cases of beer and the other five in the garage, we might run out." - Barney Gumble, loosely quoted...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I'll be back to Refined Fools this week if anyone wants something...
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.