Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

U.S liquor laws

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MattB

U.S liquor laws

Post by MattB »

It seems that Ontario is not the only jurisdiction with restrictive liquor laws.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... ought.html

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Ontario seems to be an agglomeration of the worst of those US laws - with the exception of Florida's 64 oz growler ban
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

“regulatory capture.”
=TBS
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The US definitely has some weird laws, and the distribution system hangs over their heads like our retail system does. At the Craft Brewers Conference basically all business-related panels end up talking about distribution, just as ones that we would have here would end up talking about LCBO/TBS.

However, the reality is that for most beer-friendly states in the US, most weird or quirky rules are not as obviously visible to consumers like ours are.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

The other thing too is it seems in the US you have some options if you want to make changes. I was in Pennsylvania a few weeks ago and while I was there I was reading up on their messed up laws. Basically what the deal was, was that distributors could sell cases of beer. If you wanted a 6 pack you would basically buy beer to go from a bar or restaurant. My understanding of the situation is that the grocery store Wegman's basically said that their hot food deli area, basically was a restaurant so they filed a lawsuit to allow them to have a licence to sell beer. And it worked.

But can you imagine here a bar or store owner filing a lawsuit because they want to be able to sell beer the same way the beer store does. Not sure I could see it ever happening.