Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

beer bistro

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

fedup

Post by fedup »

how can you go in there and relax with a pint? what are you thinking Beaumont?
Of course you also gave Keiths **

bulba

Post by bulba »

OK, is it just me or did everyone else give a collective "HUH?" when they read this?

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Speaking as an admittedly biased individual, I have no problem relaxing with a beer in beerbistro, but to each his or her own, I guess.

As for the Keith's comment, please allow me to quote from The Great Canadian Beer Guide, Second Edition (2001): "...Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (*), a faintly caramelly, Nova Scotian ale that is miles in style from a true IPA..."

And that's probably the MOST complimentary thing I've ever said about it.

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

I think the comment probably falls under the "you can't please all the people all the time" category. True, the Bistro is not a cozy little hole in the wall with a fire place and newspapers strewn around. If that's what some folks expect in a pub in which they can "relax", then the Bistro won't be for them. I think of the Bistro more as a "meeting place" given it's location and the way it's laid out. I like the Bistro as a place to spend with a group of friends over good beer. I expect laughter, noise, some music - fun. And that's what I get. If I just want to relax with a pint, I'll trip over to the new room at C'est What or probably any number of other pubs on Cas's pubs with fire place list.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Sorry, but I'm going to be mean...(with apologies to our regular 905 contingent)...

Does the picture come into focus for you as it does for me? There's "fedup" of Whitby, the only person awake in the entire neighbourhood of cookie-cutter houses, the light on when all else around him is darkness, and the snow drifting lazily down outside, taunting his insomnia. In the distance, the faint, profundo hum of the 401 muffled only slightly by the unploughed snow. (And not a complete sentence in sight.) It's 1:41AM. "Why can't I sleep, dammit?" he thinks.

Borne of this frustration and in an effort to vent some of his suburban anger and unhappiness, he decides to post opaque and half-formulated insults on the internet. Chief among the villains he wishes to provoke are those "real beer" snobs -- downtowners in suits and silk ties, and effete "metrosexuals", no doubt -- who would legislate against yellow beer and white bread. "I'll get them where they proverbially live," he thinks, "BeerBistro!"

("Hey, and that's the first time I've used 'proverbially' correctly," he realizes.)

Hey guy, what's the issue? Are you angry about BeerBistro? Has someone insulted your favourite brand, Alexander Keith's?

If you can formulate a well articulated query, I'm certain that there is someone here who will help you to address it. Otherwise, fedup, you should fedex your frustration elsewhere.

-Uncle Bobby
"It's magic...!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle Bobby on 2004-01-15 10:59 ]</font>

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Well written UB. You have captured the essence of today's Whitby. I'm certain there are a few holdouts that should not be painted with the brush of generalization, but for the most part you have hit the mark IMO.

Slainte,
Jeff

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Considering Bulba's past propensity for stirring the proverbial fecal matter around here, my guess is that Feddup is Bulba the Troll. Afterall he did answer this wierd little comment minutes after the original post, and that after he kept his sardonic comments to himself since Rememberance day.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Perhaps it's in celebration of his 1st anniversary here at Bartowel. Hejoined Jan. 15, 2003.Coincidence...

Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Unfortunately, I don't get to Toronto as much as I used to but I am led to believe that beerbistro is worth the trip. My question: since I will be bringing my wife with me I would like to know how the food is. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The food is innovative and well prepared. Bartowels own Kid Presentable (Mr. Kimchee) is in the kitchen, so how could it be otherwise! Brian Morin, co-owner, is a well know chef with an eye to creating beer based dishes. The beer selection is great too! Prices, well, this is Toronto...

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

compared to a lot of restaurants in the city beerbistro has quite reasonable prices as there's nothing over $20. as fars as the foodthe ribs and the lobster quesadilla are favourites of mine.

kp

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

I've only tried a few items from the menu, and they were quite good... I had the Burger & Fries, (Ok, I know it's pretty dull but "Sue Me!" I was in the mood for comfort food!) I was there for lunch on Monday actually... ;) When I was there for my birthday last year, my guests had a number of seafood dishes and pizza, everyone was quite happy with their meals if I remember correctly...

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

burgermeister wrote:I think the comment probably falls under the "you can't please all the people all the time" category. True, the Bistro is not a cozy little hole in the wall with a fire place and newspapers strewn around. If that's what some folks expect in a pub in which they can "relax", then the Bistro won't be for them.
Exactly. BB isn't necessarily the first place I would go on my own, which is really more my own personal preference than anything, but in a small to large group its great.