Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

great lakes lake effect

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

great lakes lake effect

Post by Craig »

Ridiculously good. If only we could get an IPA of this quality on general list at the LCBO.

Chatting with some friends about it, it turns out that they've mostly been getting crystal clear bottles, where the three I got were very cloudy. I find this unusual. Is this still a tank 10 beer? How would you get a difference like that with beer from the same tank? I'm also not really sure what would cause the cloudiness, chill haze maybe?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I agree. Wish we could get this all the time. For me, this is Great Lakes best ipa and one of my favourite all time IPAs

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Don't disagree, but with this, Karma Citra and Thrust we are at least getting to the point where there is great GLB IPA available a few months of the year. I like the variety.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

midlife crisis wrote:Don't disagree, but with this, Karma Citra and Thrust we are at least getting to the point where there is great GLB IPA available a few months of the year. I like the variety.
And that will continue to happen in 2015...

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Pub Style wrote:And that will continue to happen in 2015...

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

NRman wrote:
Pub Style wrote:And that will continue to happen in 2015...
Dude in the middle that stands up a half second before everyone else... that's me.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Anyone else notice the haze vs no haze thing? The dozen I got from the brewery over the weekend look like they're all clear.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Pub Style wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Don't disagree, but with this, Karma Citra and Thrust we are at least getting to the point where there is great GLB IPA available a few months of the year. I like the variety.
With Stone and Sierra Nevada set to enter the market, I would think it would have been better for GLB to have at least one or two of these fantastic beers available year round.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Pub Style wrote:
With Stone and Sierra Nevada set to enter the market, I would think it would have been better for GLB to have at least one or two of these fantastic beers available year round.
Why? Won't affect me one way or the other. Weren't DFH 60 and ST IPA supposed to have the same seismic effect on the Ontario market? Hardly a ripple.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

midlife crisis wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
Pub Style wrote: And that will continue to happen in 2015...
Why? Won't affect me one way or the other. Weren't DFH 60 and ST IPA supposed to have the same seismic effect on the Ontario market? Hardly a ripple.
I guess it's all relative to GLB's intentions and long-term business plan. If they eventually plan to grow these brands so that they are available year around and dominant as much market share as possible, my point is that it would have been easier to do this prior to Sierra Nevada and Stone entering the market with some of the best/most well-known IPA's around.

If they have no intention to grow these brands much more than where they are currently at, then I guess it's irrelevant.

From what I have read so far about these brands coming to the Ontario, I suspect they will each have one or two taps at every single craft beer bar dedicated to their products. I don't think this will be a half-assed effort by SN and Stone.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I've been drinking this regularly at C'est What. No cloudiness in the keg version.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:From what I have read so far about these brands coming to the Ontario, I suspect they will each have one or two taps at every single craft beer bar dedicated to their products. I don't think this will be a half-assed effort by SN and Stone.
Those arrogant bastards. ;)

Soon we'll be pining for the old days 'when everyone could find good Ontario IPAs' before 'the Liquor Boards sold out our future to competitors.' :(

Actually I overstate. I think the prevalence of Stone and SN here will be good for raising all ships, and there will simply be more of those ships as more consumers get on board with craft beer. The new guy who finds he likes SNPA will later discover he likes Lake Effect or Muskoka Detour even that much more. We have a local food and local beer movement in place and people like the trend.
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Belgian wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:From what I have read so far about these brands coming to the Ontario, I suspect they will each have one or two taps at every single craft beer bar dedicated to their products. I don't think this will be a half-assed effort by SN and Stone.
Those arrogant bastards. ;)

Soon we'll be pining for the old days 'when everyone could find good Ontario IPAs' before 'the Liquor Boards sold out our future to competitors.' :(

Actually I overstate. I think the prevalence of Stone and SN here will be good for raising all ships, and there will simply be more of those ships as more consumers get on board with craft beer. The new guy who finds he likes SNPA will later discover he likes Lake Effect or Muskoka Detour even that much more. We have a local food and local beer movement in place and people like the trend.
I concur.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

I'd also like to add in Robohop.

Personally, I like the rotation. Keeps me from ever getting tired of one. Instead I'm thinking "Ooo! I haven't had this in almost a year!" after a few months with the previous release.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Lake Effect is fantastic. It's the best Ontario made IPA I've ever had.

What is this about Stone coming to Ontario?