Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Irish Embassy

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

freesia

Post by freesia »

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has been to the Irish Embassy? It's downtown in the Wellington/Yonge area? Can't remember the streets exactly, I just know it was on a North-East corner in that area. Anyhow...looks like it might be a decent place, so I was just wondering if anyone has been. Great to see the forum up and running...

Images

Post by Images »

I went there last week at someone else's prompting and my curiousity.

Architecturally, it's a beautiful place - marble floors, high (15'?) ceilings that are vaulted, nice matching decor.

The beer selection is standard with a weighting towards the irish beers (Guinness is a big seller there). No micros available on tap, and I didn't check out the bottle selection, so I can't comment on it. The staff were friendly and professional, the food that we had was very good - albeit it was just appetizers for us (mussles are in the "sauce of the day" - the thai curry was very good BTW).

Two things that I'll point out for you are:
1) Noise. The floor and ceiling, while very nice, reflect all noise back into the place, so when it's busy, it's loud.

2) It's a busy Bay St. place. We were the only people in jeans there - and it was filled, 20 minute wait for a high bar-style table and chairs. This was 7pm on a Thursday though, so your milage might vary.