Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The 3 Brewers

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steve Beaumont wrote:There's this really cool invention out there, guys. It's called a telephone. I used it to call the 3 Brewers, and yes, they are very much open.
We really need a seasoned beer expert to figure this stuff out sometimes. :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

That one was free. Next time i charge! :D

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

TJ wrote:I checked it out on Friday. The service wasn't the best. Our table wasn't properly cleared. There were crumbs and I had a lipstick stained napkin on my side. The waiter, upon noticing a coaster on the floor under our table, just picked it up and put it on the table in front of me. I had to ask three times for water. I don't really care but I point it out for those who might be fussier than I am.

The burger I had was mediocre, the bun was really dry. My friend had some kind of flamm with smoked meat and some pickle wedges arranged in a plus sigh which looked pretty cheesy. It smelled gross and didn't look like anything I'd want to eat, but he seemed to enjoy it.

As for the beer, I had the dark first, which had a good dose of chocolate malt which kept me interested. The red was just kind of okay, but this is a style which has never held much appeal for me, so for all I know it was great. Neither beer was enough to make me want to go back.

Overall my experience wasn't one I'd want to repeat, but that said, The 3 Brewers is certainly better than a lot of the restaurants in the immediate area.
Great review!

I doubt I'd ever go there. Why would you? There's better spots in this city!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Derek wrote:
TJ wrote:I checked it out on Friday. The service wasn't the best. Our table wasn't properly cleared. There were crumbs and I had a lipstick stained napkin on my side. The waiter, upon noticing a coaster on the floor under our table, just picked it up and put it on the table in front of me. I had to ask three times for water. I don't really care but I point it out for those who might be fussier than I am.

The burger I had was mediocre, the bun was really dry. My friend had some kind of flamm with smoked meat and some pickle wedges arranged in a plus sigh which looked pretty cheesy. It smelled gross and didn't look like anything I'd want to eat, but he seemed to enjoy it.

As for the beer, I had the dark first, which had a good dose of chocolate malt which kept me interested. The red was just kind of okay, but this is a style which has never held much appeal for me, so for all I know it was great. Neither beer was enough to make me want to go back.

Overall my experience wasn't one I'd want to repeat, but that said, The 3 Brewers is certainly better than a lot of the restaurants in the immediate area.
Great review!

Like Duggans, just a 5 minute walk to the South East
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

icemachine wrote:
Derek wrote:

Great review!

But at the time of the review, Duggan's wasn't there.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Torontoblue wrote:
icemachine wrote:
Derek wrote: Great review!

But at the time of the review, Duggan's wasn't there.
Didn't realize the OP was from July 2009 :oops:
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

icemachine wrote: Didn't realize the OP was from July 2009 :oops:
Me neither... :oops:

TJ

Post by TJ »

Derek wrote:
icemachine wrote: Didn't realize the OP was from July 2009 :oops:
Me neither... :oops:
I did. :)

Honestly though, even if Duggans was open at the time I would have still gone to The 3 Brewers just to check out if for myself based on the following criteria: It involves beer.

As it was this was stop one on a two stop journey, the second being beerbistro. And beerbistro never disappoints.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Ended up here by chance last evening, as it is close to the Elgin theatre. I decided to give the 6% oktoberfest ("The Munich") a shot. Well, I didn't like it. Starting with the aroma I got a whiff of something spicy that reminded me of perhaps a Belgian / witbier (yeast?) . Then as I drank it I noted a dry herbal bitterness with a hint of alcohol astringency without any carmel sweetness. For a moment I actually thought I had been given the wrong beer, but as I drank it I realized it was the style of oktoberfest more like the Hofbrau Munchen we see at the LCBO, which I hate. Anyway, this ain't no Ayinger or even LTM or Beau's, so beware!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Thought I read the one in Ottawa is opening Dec 27?

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

rejtable wrote:Thought I read the one in Ottawa is opening Dec 27?
Drove by it today, it looked open

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

There is going to be one in the Richmond Adelaide Centre soon, on the street level fronting Adelaide, to the west of the Hy's. (And another in Oakville).

I like their concept and always did, I attended at the very first outlet in Lille, in 1992, in fact twice in that era, once with - I'm dropping names - Michael Jackson, the late great beer author.

However, I must say I find the beers now disappointing except for the odd seasonal. They all seem to have an acrid yeasty taste that speaks of Belgium/Northern France, yes, but in a way I find unappealing. They probably go well with the food there, so fair enough, but to drink on their own, I find it hard to do. Still, I wish them well - the expansion of any brewery chain is to be encouraged.

Gary
Gary Gillman

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

[They all seem to have an acrid yeasty taste that speaks of Belgium/Northern France, yes, but in a way I find unappealing.]

Gary --Exactly what I was trying to get at in my comments (above) on their oktoberfest; if that's common to their other beers too, well then YUCK!

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

They are now open on the Oakville-Mississauga border, in the theatre complex at the QEW and Winston Churchill Blvd ( at the LA Fitness end )

It's a very nice looking place, with a patio.
The food menu is quite extensive.
There were 2 new beers ( to me ), an IPA and an Amber ( called La Belle Province )

My past experience with beers from The 3 Brewers has not been overwhelming.
My general opinion is that their beers are almost identical, except for the name and colour.
This time I tried their IPA. It didn't taste like any IPA that I currently drink.
Yes, it tasted just like their other beers.

Anyway, a new addition for the west GTA - it's a start

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

hopdevil wrote: My general opinion is that their beers are almost identical, except for the name and colour.
I wouldn't say identical but there is definitely a strong house character. Not sure if it is the yeast or the malts used or what.