Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Ceili Cottage

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Here again right now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sstackho wrote:I went for the Mac & Cheese & Sausage, and my wife had the Bangers and Mash. It ended up being the same sausage presented two different ways, and the mains were OK but ultimately underwhelmed.
Just a note to those who find most Ontario sausage to be extremely dull (which it is unless one is a termite) I found the sausage sold at the Polish Starskys chain supermarket in Mississauga to be fantastic - and one of the best foods to go with beer!
In Beerum Veritas

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Here again!! This time with GregClow!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Garthicus wrote:Here again!! This time with GregClow!
Well, we weren't there for long. They had some water issue and had to close down about 5 minutes after we arrived. :cry:

At least we got a beer in, though. (Red Dragon on cask - excellent!) I'll have to get back out there soon to try some food.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wow Greg, you will travel OVER THE DON VALLEY to the Ceili cottage - isn't that, like two whole degrees longitude from queen west?? :o

I'm kidding of course, people just make as if Leslieville is SO far from downtown, which it is not compared to, say High Park. I walk there from Yonge. It's a fantastic area for people who work downtown. Worth checking out.
In Beerum Veritas

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

What are peoples thoughts on going with a group of 15-20 people? Would the layout work or is it more for smaller groups?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sanchex wrote:What are peoples thoughts on going with a group of 15-20 people? Would the layout work or is it more for smaller groups?
Having just been there (and I'm thinking company lunches) I would guess you might call ahead and reserve the necessary seating in the beer garden, if possible? You might just go have a look in advance. The garden was 60-80% full today, and always looks popular!

This is a nice little bar to enjoy a pint, some quirky snacks, or maybe even a dozen oysters if you have the ka-chingg. to spend on a given day. There is a definite pride in beer quality at this place, fresh with very short tap lines.
In Beerum Veritas

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Their website gives Sunday hours as "10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m." so we were looking forward to brunch today but the place was shut up tight when we arrived just after noon. Consoled ourselves at Mill Street then dropped by again, just after 3. Still closed. What gives?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TwoPint wrote:Their website gives Sunday hours as "10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m." so we were looking forward to brunch today but the place was shut up tight when we arrived just after noon. Consoled ourselves at Mill Street then dropped by again, just after 3. Still closed. What gives?
Being inexplicably closed at random seems to be A Toronto Thing, but a courtesy note on the website would take all of, what, one whole minute to post? It used to infuriate me that half the times I went by beerbistro, there would be a notice on the door or some not previously announced exclusive function going on. Well thanks for the heads up! :lol:

Of course this got me better-acquainted with the competition! :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

Spab

Post by Spab »

Looks like the hours have been updated on their website: http://www.ceilicottage.com/hours.htm. Cold comfort now I suppose. I've heard that they may still be struggling with getting staffed up. Growing pains probably shouldn't be surprising at this point, but with that patio you'd hope they'll start opening on the weekend afternoons soon. I got in on Canada Day last week (when they did in fact open at noon, although not with the brunch menu) and came away impressed. As mentioned above the Red Dragon was in good form and the Hop Addict was nice and fresh. My wife and I both thought the food was quite good, particularly the sticky toffee pudding. Hopefully they'll have things sorted out soon wrt brunch.[/url]

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I think I've been 5 or 6 times since they've opened and never been disappointed. I think it's just the first couple of weeks teething probs some of you all have encountered.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

To be fair Al, wrong posted hours are more than a teething problem and a fair reason to be a little ticked (I would be)! But from what I have heard they have just had such an overwhelming response since they have opened - I am sure taking the hours back to a 4pm start time for now is a good idea until they can get staffing levels up. I am thrilled to hear this has been a success so far, as Toronto has needed a place like this for some time now.

I cannot wait to try this place, hopefully I'll stop by when I am in town next weekend.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Conversely they opened early on Canada day. I've no idea why they weren't opened when some people went over, I can't say I'd be outraged if it happened, but that's me :wink:

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Good point! All part of just opening up. Glad to see the website updated now. I am definitely making it a priority to stop in there at some point Saturday night!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

tupalev wrote:To be fair Al, wrong posted hours are more than a teething problem and a fair reason to be a little ticked (I would be)! But from what I have heard they have just had such an overwhelming response since they have opened - I am sure taking the hours back to a 4pm start time for now is a good idea until they can get staffing levels up. I am thrilled to hear this has been a success so far, as Toronto has needed a place like this for some time now.

I cannot wait to try this place, hopefully I'll stop by when I am in town next weekend.

Agreed Jeff. This type of pub is not only needed in T.O, but in K-W and also in the Forest City! And I am happy that the response has been more than positive so far. This can only bode well for the future.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!