Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Ceili Cottage

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

The Ceili Cottage

Post by velovampire »

Patrick McMurray's (of Starfish fame) new Queen & Leslie/Greenwood Irish pub/restaurant has opened its doors. It was discussed a bit in The Roy thread, and Troy had an article about it on his blog, but I thought it warrants its own thread. Cycled by tonight on my way home from work and was so happy to see it FINALLY open and the patio packed. Didn't get a chance to pop in for a pint, but will try to in the next couple of days and report back with a tap list (unless someone else does so first - Troy? Malcolm?). A very welcome addition to the 'hood.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I dropped by this morning around 11:30. It looks spiffy but I wonder if it's officially open. No signage. Tipped-over picnic table blocking access.

Spab

Post by Spab »

I believe that last night was the first night it was open but there was some fundraiser being held for the dance school behind the place. I've heard that there will be 11 taps (apparently only a few were pouring last night) with a handful of Diageo ones, Church Key Lager, Hop Addict, O'Hara's Stout, some other stuff, including things from Mill St. and McAuslan and 1 cask (think it's supposed to be something from Durham at least to start). The website doesn't show anything right now, but as far as I know it should be open for business going forward.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I'm sitting here at the ceili cottage as I type this. What an interesting and unusual space. I like it. There's 8 taps so far and a cask engine, I'm having Red Dragon and considering some oysters.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Awesome place. The Hop Addict is in great shape. Patrick tells me there's
only a 5 foot draw for the Guinness tap and up to a max 15 feet. Super!

Had some fresh bread and butter, picked egg and some fresh Irish oysters. Yum.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Garthicus wrote:.......... picked egg .....................

What beer did you pair with that one Al? heheh :lol: :lol:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I stopped by last night for a pint with Eric (Viggo) and we ended up staying for 3. Terrific place. When I met up with Patrick back in March the building was a shell with dirt floors and I wondered how he would get it to meet his high expectations - he has exceeded wonderfully.

The Cottage is very close to my house and right on the streetcar route home - gonna be dangerous on my wallet.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Is there a full food menu beyond oysters, eggs and cheese? If so, how is it?

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I haven't had anything else however the menu is very local (heavy emphisis on Ontario goods) and seems very reasonable. The daily specials are pretty neat as they run on the old style of a big side of meat on a Sunday, then sandwiches on monday, a stew on tuesday etc utilizing all of the meat throughout the week :-)

Their Irish breakfast (avail weekends only) looks superb - I can't wait to have some.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Thanks. We're going to try to check it out tonight for an early supper (with two kids in tow :o ) though I'm guessing that there's a good chance it will be too busy (or just not appropriate to have the wee ones there) so our backup plan is Lahore Tikka House (yum).

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

They seem very family friendly and there's a huge patio - let us know how you get on!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Spab wrote:The website doesn't show anything right now, but as far as I know it should be open for business going forward.
Lots of info on the website now, such as the menu.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I love the look of the place, must drop in. It's on the way home for me too.
In Beerum Veritas

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

We did make it there tonight. The setting is very nice. The indoor section is small but full of nooks and crannies. Very cool. The patio is large for the area (capacity of 40) and was full up shortly after we arrived. Nice touches like seashells embedded in the concrete.

On the beer menu, I was interested in the Durham Red Dragon on cask, and the Hop Addict. Unfortunately, they were out of the Red Dragon tonight. My wife tried a sample of the Church-Key Lager, but it didn't impress so she also had a Hop Addict, which was very good as always. They also offer Mill Street Organic Lager, so I think there is room to change the Church-Key offering to something more interesting.

The food menu is short. I went for the Mac & Cheese & Sausage, and my wife had the Bangers and Mash. It ended up being the same sausage presented two different ways, and the mains were OK but ultimately underwhelmed.

We struck gold with the desserts. She had the sticky toffee pudding and gave me The Look of Death after I took a second forkful of it. (It reminded me of the time I tried to take too many of her frites at C'est What.) I went for the dark chocolate & Bailey's tart. I didn't get much Bailey's out of it, but the chocolate was rich and delicious. Yum.

A solid and unique addition to the neighbourhood.