Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Brewpub - almost a year later, any thoughts?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

atomeyes wrote: oh, and something really interesting: the men:women ratio is up there with Volo. lots and lots of beer drinking women. great to see that the misconception that beer's a man's drink if pretty much out the window.
Come to the Brewer's Backyard :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I dropped by here a minute tonight on my stroll of Harbourfront, massive, not a bad looking place with a fun, somewhat sportsbar feel, the patio looked way cooler. I don't know how people carry rents in this town. Area reeks of developer-mania.

Harborfront in general both attracts me with its potential and annoys me with its inherent douchebag factor. I always sorta feel like the money got there so much sooner than the sense of taste did, and the latter is forever caching up, if it ever will. So many nice waterside towns in Europe where I just spent a month, great planning or at least some planning involved.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:I dropped by here a minute tonight on my stroll of Harbourfront, massive, not a bad looking place with a fun, somewhat sportsbar feel, the patio looked way cooler. I don't know how people carry rents in this town. Area reeks of developer-mania.

Harborfront in general both attracts me with its potential and annoys me with its inherent douchebag factor. I always sorta feel like the money got there so much sooner than the sense of taste did, and the latter is forever caching up, if it ever will. So many nice waterside towns in Europe where I just spent a month, great planning or at least some planning involved.
Leave it to Belgian to tactlessly insult a neighbourhood that another BT'er lives in (as mentioned on the previous page), then claim other people are douchebags. :roll:

We chose the area precisely for its lack of hipsterdom and douchbaggery, proximity to some of T.O.'s best beer spots (Bar Hop, Amsterdam, beerbistro, Loose Moose, Against the Grain, C'est What), great range of takeout restaurants and attractions, walkability (even during construction), proximity to the ACC and Rogers Centre since we have partial seasons for the Leafs and Argos, and easy access to the highway and island airport. When the streetcar returns in August, transit will be back to normal. But I tend to walk most places so it hasn't been a problem for me.

There's a lot of young couples, families, and tourists in the area, which I'll happily take any day over hipsters, snobs, and dude bros. Besides the city/Waterfront TO work, the only new development I've noticed is a condo/office tower near Bay and Lakeshore. Affordability is a subjective thing based largely on income, but compared to other global cities downtown Toronto rents are reasonable.

In terms of planning, I think traffic congestion and a lack of transit are the biggest issues facing Toronto right now.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

It's a great place for sure.....must be costing Amsterdam a pretty penny to have that space I'd think, but their other industrial location offsets that overall cost I guess.

I definitely enjoy the casual vibe of this place more than Mill St over in the Distillery. Easy enough to have some quiet brews and much more spacious.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:Leave it to Belgian to tactlessly insult a neighbourhood that another BT'er lives in (as mentioned on the previous page), then claim other people are douchebags. :roll:
Sorry you think that. In another disussion enough people agreed the Danforth has a douchebag factor that certainly did not reflect on ALL people in that area or resident BT'ers (* edited for rambling content. *)

Glad you're enjoying the rental, be well.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

The fact that so many threads on this forum end up going this way is the reason that Bar Towel has a rep of being such a top notch forum in the beer game.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

PeenSteen wrote:Bar Towel has a rep of being such a top notch forum in the beer game.
Hey that's nice to hear!

:-?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

PeenSteen wrote:The fact that so many threads on this forum end up going this way is the reason that Bar Towel has a rep of being such a top notch forum in the beer game.
That's just forums. They're all like this.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Hey I'm just saying what I hear....tons of people I know don't even post here because things go off the rails constantly. I mean the majority of the people here are great but there are a few who make this place a complete joke sometimes.

I'm still here and find it useful but I can understand not wanting to comb through all the off topic, same old complaint non-sense posts (like this one that i'm guilty of) to find useful information.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: I live here too and own a place...Glad you're enjoying the rental...
LOL, still condescending and passive-aggressive as fuck, you learn nothing from these discussions.
PeenSteen wrote: tons of people I know don't even post here because things go off the rails constantly...I can understand not wanting to comb through all the off topic, same old complaint non-sense posts (like this one that I'm guilty of) to find useful information.
99% of the time I stay on topic, but there are times when ignorant comments can't go unchallenged. The tendency for things to go off the rails is a major reason why I post in "What are you drinking?" so often, though occasionally good conversation can be found in other threads.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cratez. I think this went way off and you're right. I get that you think I'm off base on your neighborhood and appreciate your saying it. Cheers.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I don't think the internet or forums in general are any different than life. Most conversations have side bars and go off topic at some point. People will always disagree with other people. Misinterpreting the intent of what one person says happens as frequently face to face as in forums. Some people are trolls on the internet and in person. Thats's just people.

On topic. I took some out of town friends, beer geek and non, to Amsterdam and they loved it. My family in TO who went the first time didn't love it. I was in between. A little too big for my personal preference and not the vibe I usually try to check out, but the beer and food is good enough to make a stop in after a Jays game every once in a while.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Now, that I think about this....I've met a number of people on BT who I can sit down and have a really enjoyable pint with in Hamilton, TO or elsewhere, that I interacted with first on-line. So in that way, BT is pretty awesome. Yep, I've also met some teal douche bags as well. However, I've also met lots of beer geeks face-to-face, who have never posted on BT, BA, RB or anywhere else who are exhausting and insufferable assholes. I think the percentages between the two realms is about the same, so again, that's just people and society.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: Cratez. I think this went way off and you're right. I get that you think I'm off base on your neighborhood and appreciate your saying it. Cheers.
Water under the bridge now.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

boney wrote:I've also met some teal douche bags as well.
Sounds fashionable